Hair concerns, should I get rid of it all?

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/17 7:38 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I find it so hard to generally get to 700, however I think my lack of trying because it's uncomfortable is bad. I'm going to try and pu**** up little by little and get to 90g of protein a day if it means just a second protein shake.

Donna L.
on 6/10/17 8:36 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

If you can't eat, just put protein in a big old water bottle and dilute it. Syntrax is great for that.... I love their tea flavor. I just would sip all day. I have had zero issues getting protein in,

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

catwoman7
on 6/8/17 8:17 am
RNY on 06/03/15

have you started losing it? I lost little to no hair, so I wouldn't worry about it unless/until you start losing it. Most people do lose some (and a few lose *a lot*), but not everyone does....

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/17 8:45 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I believe it has, I have noticed more shedding when I am combing my hair. Shedding is normal when you brush, but it feels very heavy. I am going to have a stylist just take a look at it I believe.

CC C.
on 6/8/17 12:26 pm

I'm losing a lot right now, but knowing it's temporary is a bit of a comfort. I don't think I could pull off a pixie, but if you can I say go for it! It's just hair. It'll come back.

Steph Meat Hag
on 6/8/17 1:38 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Honestly its so much easier to deal with hair loss when it's shorter. So cut it down as low as you dare and then there's only more to gain, opposed to less and less and less... which gets old and sometimes a little sad. The good news is that for me it didn't last but about 3 months and then about month 8 or so it started coming back in!

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/8/17 1:52 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Here's my take:

I always had pretty thick hair -- the hair itself is straight and fine -- but I had a ton of it. When I hit my 30's, PCOS and uncontrolled weight gain started to reek havoc on my hair. Then, having my son was my death knell for my hair. A few months after giving birth, it was falling out in clumps. The onset of diabetes didn't help, either.

Cut ahead to weight loss surgery -- I started taking biotin and the vitamins months before surgery. I was sure that I could prevent the hair loss. I was getting in 80 grams or more of protein from 2 weeks out and on -- so I was meeting my protein goals. I was ****y! I hadn't lost a bit of hair. In fact, it looked better than before!

Quite literally, on the first day of the fourth month, I started noticing more hair. Hair in the shower, hair on the pillow, hair everywhere. It looked like a bison bathed in my tub -- and like cousin it was rolling around on my bed. Even my husband, who wouldn't notice if I came home with polka dots all over my face, noticed that I was losing my hair.

I guess I am telling you all of this because, first, I understand your worry. Second, because I want to express that it's in no way your fault -- it isn't not taking vitamins or eating too little protein (although, doing those things will definitely help!) -- it's just ****ty luck. :-)

Anyhow, I did end up cutting my hair a bit shorter -- although not a pixie or anything -- I am terrified of being a "pin head" -- because shorter does give the illusion of a bit more thickness. It's just hair -- it grows back. So, while you're young and daring -- do whatever you please.

Just to let you know, the hair loss stopped sometime in month 9 -- and what I lost did grow back. So it wasn't permanent. I would say my hair is thicker now than before surgery -- but not as thick as it was before my son. I am a lot older than you -- so you may have even better luck.

DO get your protein intake up -- you can do it.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/17 2:07 pm

I was in the beauty/ cosmetology business for 30 years. I always had great, easy thick hair. I too am loosing mine and it is getting frizzy and icky. I use thickening products to help it style better but, I did get cut very short. This is what we recommended to all people who are going through this many women go through this post pregnancy, thyroid issues and of course, Chemo. Find a stylist who will give a good consult. Maybe someone who has worked with hair loss issues. ( maybe your current one will do) do not fall for any thing topical to put on your scalp that says it will grow your hair back. That's crap. Your hair is direct reflection of whats going on on the inside. no need to shave it off. Just find a short fun pixie cut. ( check out Pinterest for ideas) It is so freeing to cut that old stuff off and start anew. Just think of it as part of your transformation. So many large women use our longer hair to cover our heads or sometimes faces. We get the idea that those short pixie cuts are for smaller, thinner women and that is just not true. Back in the 80's when I was thinner and wore short hair, so many people would say " Oh I wish I could wear my hair short like yours but, I am just too fat" or the worst one was " My husband won't let me" .ggggggrrrrrrrr.

It can actually make you look thinner! But, mostly it will be part of your new you. If you want to grow it out again after the loss slows down, then you can. Chances are you might like it. For me, summer is coming and I will more active than ever and not having to blow, style or put in a pony tail will be a welcome thing for me. I am swimmer/ water person and short fits that. I will grow it out a bit in the fall but, for now it works for the hair loss and the style.

If you have curl you will still have curl and that you should be able to work with!!

Fredbear
on 6/8/17 5:00 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

I say shave it all off.

But keep in mind I'm a guy, and I'm bald.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

Kathyjs
on 6/8/17 5:01 pm

I used to hide behind my hair. After surgery I thought I am done hiding and got a pixie cut. Love it. Wash and go

Most Active