Neuropathy-foot and hand pain

amccall
on 6/6/17 11:17 am

I am just about 9 years out and I am experiencing pain, tingling, numbness, and soreness of especial my feet and some in my hands and wrist. I had the RNY in 2008 and i was told by a nurse that I worked with that when she worked in the neurology office that at 10 years out they were getting a lot neuropathy patients who had the RNY surgery. Is anyone experiencing these issues and what suggestions do you have. I am going to the doctor next week.

hollykim
on 6/6/17 12:05 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 6, 2017 at 6:17 PM Pacific Time, amccall wrote:

I am just about 9 years out and I am experiencing pain, tingling, numbness, and soreness of especial my feet and some in my hands and wrist. I had the RNY in 2008 and i was told by a nurse that I worked with that when she worked in the neurology office that at 10 years out they were getting a lot neuropathy patients who had the RNY surgery. Is anyone experiencing these issues and what suggestions do you have. I am going to the doctor next week.

those symptoms happen a lot wit vitamin deficiencies? What supplements are you taking and how much of each?

amccall
on 6/6/17 3:01 pm

Haven't been complainant over the years with my supplements and now i am seem to be paying for it. I was not aware or tell prior to surgery that this could occur if i didn't take my supplements or vitamins and if i had i would have made that a religious ritual everyday. I am at myself and then the staff for not telling me this could happen. Anyway i am taking: B-12 2500mcg, magnesium 250mg, D3 400 IU, Iron 65mg, and vita fusion adult complete multivitamins.

CC C.
on 6/6/17 4:58 pm

The VitaFusion's are gummies correct? Bear in mind, despite the "complete" label, gummies do not contain all of the minerals you need. Being gritty, they don't lend themselves to a gummie delivery system... Also, the general recommendation is at least 200% of the DV of several vitamins/minerals. You'd need to eat a lot of gummies to reach that in many cases.

Best of luck getting this sorted!

Fredbear
on 6/6/17 12:25 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

Could be a skewed sample, considering that many if not most bariatric patients are already considered diabetic before surgery, so the post-op population is more likely to already be in the neuropathy risk pool.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

Gina 22 years out
on 6/6/17 12:38 pm - Burleson, TX

Right-What HollyKim said...If you could get some lab levels done (esp like B12), before even seeing doctor, then the doctor would have a lot more of a starting place...

Have you been taking vitamins/supplements? You can be honest. We have no reason to judge, and can't answer your questions, without info.

I DID have similar symptoms, and it WAS related to my vitamins, etc, and NOT to my Diabetes, though I was insulin dependent, with history of neuropathy, prior to my WLS

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

amccall
on 6/6/17 3:10 pm

I havent been taking my supplements correctly through the years and I just started taking them when all this pain started, i take them everyday B-12, magnesium, D3, iron, and the complete multivitamins. Thank you for responsing.

sunshinespring
on 6/6/17 1:08 pm - Bay Area, CA

I did and still having those same pains, my hands get puffy and my feet swollen and lots of pins and needles feelings and pains, at first I was really scared that I was going to be diagnosed with an auto immune disease but after checking my vitamins levels it showed really low B12, and my ferritin and Iron were to the minimum, also my vitamin D was at 16; I am working on all this but it takes time for this to get better, I also had my RYN on 2008,

check your levels, Good luck!

amccall
on 6/6/17 2:56 pm

Thank you that gives me hope. I will do all the above.

Amy R.
on 6/6/17 2:44 pm

Just wanted to get in a quick "yep" on the B12. Been there and done that myself. And it does seem to plague many of us with consistent deficiencies of one sort or another.

If you're comfortable with it you can buy B12 over the counter and check it out. Get the sublingual - it works much better and faster.

As always YMMV so stay within dosing directions until you get your blood checked. Good luck. =)

Most Active