How to stay motivated when your brain gets in the way!

Sunkissed619
on 6/5/17 12:43 pm
RNY on 10/31/16

Hi all!

I don't post here to often, am mostly a lurker but need some help. I am into my 8th month post op RNY following a band failure. I recently increased my activity level from 1hr walks 4 times a week to Zumba 55 mins 2-3 times a week and 10 min walking with 30 mins elliptical 3-4 times a week. Have noticed that my weight loss which was between 2-3 lbs a week has really started to crawl along. This week showing only a 1/10th of a lb loss. I have never been an exercise lover so it's super hard to stay motivated to exercise when it seems to make my body hold onto every oz.

This mornings weigh in is really messing with my head! Making me compare my loss to others who are as many months out or even less that are blowing me out of the water. Panicking about the small loss when I still have so far to go but only a few more months left in that 1 year mark that seems so important. Worrying that I can eat too much and this isn't going to work for me. Getting that overly critical inner monologue to work overtime berating myself.

Wondering what you all do on days/weeks like this. Thanks in advance to all *****spond!

Elizabeth

RNY revision from LapBand following a leak 10/31/2016 w/Dr Robert Zane Kaiser Harbor City, CA.

HW/SW 309--CW 223.9

Month 1: -23.8, Month 2: -10.6, Month 3: -8.1, Month 4: -18.3, Month 5: -8.1, Month 6: - 9.6, Month 7: -6.6, Month 8: TBD

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/5/17 1:34 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Pretty much EVERYBODY sees their loss slow to a crawl by month 8. We get spoiled in the first few months where the pounds drop quickly, but after that it's slow and steady all the way to the end.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Eggface
on 6/5/17 2:00 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

What helps me... planning at least a day in advance what I am going to eat. I know I have a balanced day planned, takes the pressure off to figure out something healthy on the fly or when I am stressed or "hangry" ;)

& I get bored so changing up the exercise... walking different routes, taking random classes, fitness blender videos, dancing in my kitchen. Step counters or fitbits are cool if you walk... it's nice when I see I'm so close to a goal # it pushes me to reach it.

One of my longest scale stalls was in month 8... I stressed but logically I was doing all I needed to do... I was making the healthiest choices I could each day... protein forward meals, trying to get my water in, moving my body, and working on the head stuff... sure enough the scale did start moving again. I was losing inches whenever the scale stalled, my health was improving and experiencing tons of NSVs (Non-scale victories) too... so remember many more ways to measure than the scale #'s.

LOL but tell the inner voice to pipe down ;) Comparison is the thief of JOY. Not everyone started at the same weight, has the same metabolism, the same health issues, lifestyle or needs... so just cause someone had surgery near your month and has lost more (or less) means nothing... focus on making doable, forever changes and aim for the best day you can each day... because the day after you reach that magic scale # it's more of the same, day in & day out. :)

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

seattledeb
on 6/5/17 5:06 pm

I spent some serious time on your website this weekend. Looking at recipes for ACAW challenge.

Your website has been helping me since 2008. Thanks!

Eggface
on 6/5/17 5:47 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Aww thank you for the lovely compliment... you know you guys reading has helped me all these years too. Keeps my head in the game :)

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Kathy1212
on 6/6/17 10:59 am

I love your blog too, and your name on the blog and here always makes me giggle, because when I was a little girl I used to call my baby brother Egghead, because when he was born, his head looked exactly like an egg, lol. Then when we got older he objected to the name so I switched it to Eggplant Parmesan (nice big sister that I am) and even my Mom still calls him Eggplant Parmesan on occasion, almost 40 years later, lol.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

peachpie
on 6/5/17 6:16 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I totally get your anxiety. Being further out I have a little more confidence- very little. But I know how one scale reading that falls short of your expectation can screw with your head.

My thought is focus less on the scale and more on your intake. Reality for me now is if the scale isn't showing what I want-- it's directly related to what I'm eating. Keep your eating in line and the scale will follow- fluctuations and stalls will be part of this game for life. You can always control what you put in your mouth- not how the scale responds.

They say 'the devil is the author of confusion'. Comparing yourself to others will send you deep down the rabbit hole-- faith in the system will help you climb out.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Sunkissed619
on 6/5/17 6:41 pm
RNY on 10/31/16

Thank you, I love the idea of controlling what I can which is the food going in and the calories going out! You are right, I can't control what the scale or my body decides to do but knowing I am doing what I can and should will help lessen that anxiety.

RNY revision from LapBand following a leak 10/31/2016 w/Dr Robert Zane Kaiser Harbor City, CA.

HW/SW 309--CW 223.9

Month 1: -23.8, Month 2: -10.6, Month 3: -8.1, Month 4: -18.3, Month 5: -8.1, Month 6: - 9.6, Month 7: -6.6, Month 8: TBD

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/5/17 6:58 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

You've gotten some really great advice, but I also wanted to add something else. Often times we stress the importance of that first year -- and the reason is that it absolutely NEVER as easy as it is in that first 12 months/honeymoon. It's so sad to see someone waste that precious time but cheating themselves or not taking full advantage of that time.

But.

Sometimes, I think it can also give the impression that if you don't lose everything you desire in the first 12 months, then it's pretty hopeless that one ever will. But the truth is, that unless you really started as a lightweight, then it will and does take longer than the first year.

A lot of people get tired and weary of working for it after the 12 or 18 month mark -- but it isn't as though you suddenly cannot lose more after those landmarks.

Many of us have continued to lose past 12, 16, 18, 24 months and beyond. I lost nearly an additional 100 pounds in my second year!

As many of the vets always say, "It's not a sprint, it's a marathon."

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

catwoman7
on 6/5/17 8:01 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I was just going to say exactly what Kat said! I continued to lose during year 2 as well. A lot of people who started out SMO can't do it all in one year. It'll keep coming off if you work at it. It's slower and tougher after the first year, but lots of us have done it!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163