Four Years Post-Op: An Update and Musings

Nikke2003
on 5/23/17 4:43 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Hey everyone! About a week ago, I realized that I passed my four year anniversary of having surgery. It's a bit crazy to think I started this process 4 1/2 years ago... so much can change in what feels like so little time. I haven't been around OH that much in the past two years, so most of you probably don't even know who I am!!

As an update for those that do remember me, things are going ok. In a previous post, I mentioned that my husband and I had split. The divorce was final in January and I have been adjusting to living alone and being single ever since June 2016. This last year has been a strange combination of the highest-highs and the lowest-lows. The good news is we remain friends and have a great relationship. It can be difficult not to have the companionship of my best friend anymore, but I hope (in the long run) both of us will be much happier and better off.

Some of the positives include the continued travel for work. I actually had the opportunity, to go to Paris last month. I took a few extra days off and toured the city with my sister and had an amazing time. Whenever I take amazing trips or do new things like this, I never forget how fortunate I am that it seems as though I have no limits to what I can do (after losing the weight). Four and a half years ago, I was limited by everything which is not something I have forgotten.

With the travel, increased socializing, and "living" I have been doing, comes the ever present battle to keep the weight off. After traveling to Paris and then back-to-back-to-back work-related travel, I find myself at the absolute TOP of my maintained weight range at 200 lbs. That isn't acceptable. I had been maintaining in the 190-195 range for awhile. Time to get serious. I have re-dedicated myself to getting to the ultimate goal of 170 and won't stop until I get there. Maybe that takes me a year. Maybe it takes me two years. I don't care. I will never stop trying to keep the weight off and reach a state of optimal health.

A couple of people have sent me messages recently asking me for tips and advice. The best I can do is share with you some of the tips below with the caveat that I certainly don't have all of "this" figured out. And, I would caution you against people who think they do. This is a continuous process of learning and adjusting. The moment you think you have it all figured out is the moment you get complacent, IMO.

• If you're early out from surgery, maximize your "honeymoon" phase. Don't test how much you can eat. Don't have "a little bit" here and there of things you shouldn't. Yes, you can lose weight at any time; however, the honeymoon phase is the time when your restriction is the highest, motivation is the most intense, and hunger is minimal or non-existent. TAKE ADVANTAGE.
  • Unless you are in maintenance and have years of proven ability to guess-timate how much you eat/drink you should weight, measure, and track every. single. thing. you eat or drink. You need to be honest with yourself and be meticulous. It is so incredibly easy to take in more calories than you should when you don't track everything honestly.
  • Therapy, therapy, therapy. I would not be where I am today without it. Also, I would not have made it through this past year without falling back into emotional eating habits if I had not addressed my issues in therapy. In fact, my therapist closed her practice over a year and a half ago (around the time I started my current job) and I stopped. I'm thinking of getting back into it.

So, that was a long update. Below are a few pictures from my Paris trip. I'm thinking about taking some new photos of my plastic surgery scars, in the event that anyone is curious what they look like 2 1/2 years (LBL, Breast Lift, Arm Lift) and 2 years (Thigh Lift) out. Maybe I will get around to it in a few days!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Grim_Traveller
on 5/23/17 5:00 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You're a rock star Nikke! I hope people really pay attention to your story. You have a lot to offer.

I want to double down on all your recommendations. They can't be emphasized enough.

Thanks for sticking around and paying it forward!

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/17 6:04 am

You know. .. Every time I fall off the wagon of documenting my intake for a couple days, I read a heavy reminder that I can NOT -NOT do that. I cannot be reminded enough from the vets on this page.

Thanks!

MarinaGirl
on 5/23/17 6:39 am

What an amazing post! Thank you for sharing your story and wisdom. And I loved the pics of you and the sites in Paris. Way to go!

Pokemom
on 5/23/17 8:30 am
RNY on 12/29/14

I loved this post, and I love your pictures. Beautiful you in a beautiful place.

Thank you for taking the time to write out your thoughts. We all need the support of each other, at each stage, to hear successes and challenges, to remember where we were before, to remember who we want to be, and to stay committed to our goals.

xoxo

Kristi T.
on 5/23/17 9:29 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Your Paris pictures are wonderful and you look amazing. I love your positive attitudes towards you ex-husband, way to go!

Nikke2003
on 5/23/17 9:40 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Just wanted to add - for anybody that is pre-op or early post-op that may be reading, I haven't regretted this decision to have surgery at all. Not even for a day. When I introduce myself at local support group meetings, I always tell people I would do it annually if I had to (but let's face it... I'm so glad I don't!).

I got a second chance at a better quality of life. Don't waste it if you get your second chance too.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Kathyjs
on 5/23/17 4:58 pm

You look awesome !! Thanks for sharing pics of Paris. You gave good advice. I have been at goal for many many years but seriously there is no slacking off. There is not one day in almost 14 years that I don't remember I had this surgery . To be successful you never reach a point where you can think, now I don't have to be careful. It's a lifetime commitment. I had 6 months of weekly therapy before surgery. Helps

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/23/17 6:27 pm, edited 5/23/17 11:30 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I remember you Nikke! In fact when I was first looking into wls I remembered that you started out at over 400lbs & still lost the weight with vsg alone. I knew that I was getting close to knocking on the door of 400 myself & wondered if I'd need something more than just the vsg, so it was nice reading yours & others stories that yes even being SMO it's possible, with a lot of work to lose the weight & keep it off with the vsg.

Congrats on all your accomplishments & I wish you continued success.

edited to add Great pics! You look great!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Roma
on 5/23/17 10:12 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

Oh, Paris!

Thanks for taking the time to do the update post. It's inspirational to see where you are at.

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Most Active