Food/Exercise Tracking

NotOldMomma
on 5/23/17 11:59 am

Yes I'm really digging this calking, ive been using it 4 weeks now and its pretty decent. im going to check out the macros one someone suggested earlier and theres a guy HASfit that has youtube exercises i do and he has a site i wanna check out too.

A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES STARTS WITH A SINGLE STEP. ......

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/17 7:05 pm
RNY on 11/22/16

I use my plate. I really like it. I think you need to use whatever works for you.

NotOldMomma
on 5/24/17 4:48 am, edited 5/23/17 9:56 pm

I've heard that is a good site as well

A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES STARTS WITH A SINGLE STEP. ......

kyzze
on 5/23/17 11:18 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

MFP may not work for you but it is not a "joke" It is a really great app and I have lost a lot of weight using it. Fortunately there are a lot of apps out there and you just have to find the one that suits your needs.

dh101
on 5/28/17 9:42 am
VSG on 06/29/17

I tried CalorieKing, and found that 80% of the foods I eat were not in its database.

I have an Apple Watch that I use as my exercise tracker. When I tried CalorieKing, it had no intergration with Apple Health & the Apple Watch.

So I tried MyFitnessPal. I invested in the premium package, and I find that I can enter all most all the foods I eat. It lets me build MY recipes too. It has a feature which scans a UPC code via my iPhone/iPad camera, and then logs that food/ingredient/vitamin/supplement into the system. (It enabled logging my KimChi and Irish Steal Cut Oats.) I have not asked it set the work out to more than 7 times per week. I have logged more than 1 workout in a day, and had no problems. In fact it tracks cardio and strength workouts separately. I have set my calorie intake to be below what the program recommended. Yes if I exercise MFP does show that I "may" consume more calories. However it has yet to make a meal for me, nor has it forced food I don't want down my throte. :-)

For me, the logger needs to not share data unless I explicitly give it permission. It has to have more than the USDA food database, since that database has not been updated in decades. Tracking that I did my elypitcal and my ab crunches, yep important. How much vitamin B1, D, etc, very important. Where I am in the calories I set as my goal? If it doesn't do that then it is the wrong tool.

The reality is that it doesn't matter which tool you use. Pencil and paper work too. It is that you have a tool that enables you to objectively see what subjective choices you are making. I do know tha MFP enabled my to choose the grilled chicken salad versus a burger and fries. But what ever tool you choose, keep it up!

It is better to travel and get lost...

Than never to travel at all.

Au_Contraire
on 5/29/17 3:16 am

You guys all sound significantly more techy than me! I will check out MFP and CK. Also, I've barely used any spreadsheet programs, though I have one on my computer. I keep records of various things, or course, but am more old school (even luddite - think paper and pencil!). The only programs I am really skilled at using are Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. And Word, of course. I want to give myself every chance at success, though! So I will learn how to use a spreadsheet (it's only been a few decades since my first PC, after all - I suppose it's time) to track my vitamin/bloodwork levels, and I will tackle learning how to use MFP as well.

Here comes June, my RNY month!

Most Active