More sensitive to caffeine?

OutsideMatchInside
on 5/22/17 8:18 am
VSG on 07/15/15

I wish. Caffeine has basically no effect on me. My tolerance is through the roof.

HW:370 Weight at First Consult: 365 Surgery 7/15/2015 Weight:358 CW: 187 Previous Clothing Size: 28/30 Current Clothing Size: 8/10

Pokemom
on 5/22/17 8:28 am
RNY on 12/29/14

I am not much of a caffeine drinker. I never was before WLS. I just don't really like soda. Sometimes I would drink a coke in grad school, to help me pull an all-nighter on a big paper. I will also sometimes take a no-doz when on a long drive, like for a trip.

About 8 months after WLS, on a long drive, I took a no-doz, and I was crazy jittery. Just so incredibly worked up and agitated. It was a much much much (MUCH!!!) stronger reaction than I had ever had to a no-doz before. It was so bad that I was concerned.

So, there's that as anecdotal: yes, for me at least, I was much more sensitive after WLS. But again--not a regular caffeine person.

Since that experience, if I ever use a no-doz (and I have a few times), then I take half--then wait a while--then take the other half. I also take it with food.

I just assumed that because of my pouch, my body metabolized it a lot faster--that it got into my system fast. So I tried to slow it down through the food and breaking it--like extended release. :-)

Eggface
on 5/22/17 11:00 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I hope you get an answer and/or it's resolved soon... I would lean toward menopause or maybe more water/dehydrated?

I am a caffeine fiend with no ill effect. I am an RNYer and I have had some substances effect me more (and some less) than pre-WLS Benadryl are literally like roofies to me but Z-packs/antibiotics would give me relief day 2 from say strep throat don't help. I chalked it up to the double edged sword of having a malabsorptive procedure but I see you are a VSGer so that wouldn't apply.

Post and let us know how it goes.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

theAntiChick
on 5/22/17 11:19 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Caffeine wasn't a "never" for my surgeon, but she wanted me off of it for the surgery and for the healing period afterwards. Since I had to go through the withdrawal part and it wasn't pleasant, I just didn't go back to my old habits of coffee and such after surgery. I'll have coffee or soda occasionally now, but not on a regular basis. I'm finding that when I do indulge, the caffeine is more effective. Before surgery I was completely caffeine tolerant. I could drink lots of caffeine and it had little effect. Now I can actually use a cup of coffee to increase my alertness, stay awake, etc. I don't have issues with palpitations, thank goodness, since I've already had an ablation for PVCs (not due to caffeine, had a reaction to a medication that caused a lesion in my heart). I've decided to keep caffeine as a sometimes thing.

I don't think we're more sensitive because of the WLS, but if we stopped for a period of time, I think some of us become more sensitive because of the period away from it.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Jabberwocky94
on 5/23/17 2:37 am

Just wondering if you put anything IN your coffee? or just black?

CC C.
on 5/23/17 5:11 pm, edited 5/23/17 10:11 am

FYI, my electrolytes and calcium were normal. I suppose it could be perimenopause, I'm 45. But I have been off caffeine for 2. Whole. Days. and the palpitations have decreased dramatically. Guess that means I'm a decaf girl now. The doctor said if they stick around, I should see a cardiologist. For now, I think the decaf is doing the trick. Thanks for all the input and personal experiences!

Most Active