More sensitive to caffeine?

Cathy H.
on 5/21/17 5:49 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

My allergies increase as I get older, so I can imagine that food sensitivities can as well. I know my sister used to be able to eat onions and drink milk, but now at age 45 she can no longer tolerate either.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

CC C.
on 5/21/17 5:52 pm

I'm 45 too. Good times!

Cathy H.
on 5/21/17 5:54 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Lol, ya young whipper snapper!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

MarinaGirl
on 5/21/17 6:35 pm, edited 5/21/17 11:36 am

Caffeine is a risk for gastric ulcers post-WLS.

My doctor recommends staying away from the following to minimize ulcer risks:

1. Smoking
  2. Alcohol
  3. Coffee (decaf & regular)
  4. Caffeine
  5. Carbonated beverages
CC C.
on 5/21/17 6:40 pm

Why don't we table the "should wls patients have caffeine" subject since it's not part of my original question. That said, here is the response on the matter from the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery website:

Q: Do I need to avoid caffeine after bariatric surgery? A: Caffeine fluids have been shown to be as good as any others for keeping you hydrated. Still, it is a good idea to avoid caffeine for at least the first thirty days after surgery while your stomach is extra sensitive. After that point, you can ask your surgeon or dietitian about resuming caffeine. Remember that caffeine often comes paired with sugary, high-calorie drinks, so be sure you're making wise beverage choices.

NotOldMomma
on 5/21/17 6:53 pm

OP copy and paste idk how to do that but .....

" You're not my doctors, but I'm curious, is this because of the weight loss? The surgery? A side effect of aging? Just bad luck? Anyone else find they're more sensitive to caffeine?"

you asked if it was because of the surgery as well, so if I offended you by trying to help with your question, I apologize.

A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES STARTS WITH A SINGLE STEP. ......

CC C.
on 5/21/17 7:24 pm

No, not offended at all! It just seemed to be turning into an "I can have it, I'm never supposed to have it" roll call which, while interesting in the sense that everyone's instructions are different, wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Because I'm in the "my surgeon said I could have it" camp, I am more interested in whether the "I can have it" people found they were more sensitive to it post surgery and if something about weight loss surgery or weight loss makes a person more sensitive to the stimulant effects. Whether it causes ulcers seems to be a different discussion.

Donna L.
on 5/21/17 6:44 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Did you discontinue caffeine briefly? Caffeine is a stimulant for the brain, and often stimulants can lose their potency when used daily. If you discontinued it and then resumed it, you regained caffeine sensitivities.

Weight loss or gain actually does change how much of a drug or substance affects the body. For instance, typically certain doses must be greater for obese patients for some psychotropic drugs, for instance. My pharmacology books are packed, but perhaps caffeine works in a similar fashion. I know high doses typically are more dangerous for children than adults by a wide margin, though that may be for other factors unrelated to body mass.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

CC C.
on 5/21/17 6:50 pm

I stopped for a few weeks post surgery because I wasn't sure it would feel good in my new stomach, then restarted. So maybe 3-4 weeks off caffeine total? I'm just over 12 weeks now. The extra heartbeats I've really noticed the last week or so.

I remember my mother complaining about having them, so maybe I'm just turning into her faster than I hoped!

Donna L.
on 5/21/17 6:56 pm, edited 5/21/17 11:57 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

It's actually better for healing tummy to cut back, as a lot of the compounds in tea, coffee, and soda are hard on the healing sleeve, caffeine aside. Tannins, in particular. They are all very acidic drinks. I should say, many people are more comfortable omitting them, but everyone is different, etc.

Probably time for half-caf! I had to cut back myself for many reasons. Believe me, I still notice when I skip it! Eesh. Thanks, dumb brain.

But yeah, the brain becomes dependent on stimulants over time, so it's good to take a break when you can, unless they are used for medical reasons. A recent study indicated that Ritalin actually physically alters the brain and make people prone to different kinds of behavior if they take them to study rather than for ADHD. It'd be interesting to see if caffeine has a similar effect. Of course, caffeine is not Ritalin, and I am not implying that. Rather, I am just being a nerdy dork thinking aloud so I'll shut up :P

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active