Uncomfortable praise

Kristi T.
on 5/13/17 9:57 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

I completely understand. I seemed to have spent my entire adult life trying to blend in and not be noticed. Hiding is hard to do anymore when strangers actually make eye contact and smile or say hello, hold doors open, etc. Compliments and questions about the weight loss make it hard to hide out as well. So, I am learning slowly(through therapy) ways to stop blending in and how to accept compliments gracefully and set boundaries on all the other "stuff." I wish you well in finding ways to stop being embarrassed and feel more comfortable!!!

OutsideMatchInside
on 5/13/17 11:46 am
VSG on 07/15/15

Luckily almost everyone I know is well mannered. People never ask me how much I have lost.

I am uncomfortable about compliments some of the time because I feel like I have so much further to do. I feel like continued compliments will make me complacent.

HW:370 Weight at First Consult: 365 Surgery 7/15/2015 Weight:358 CW: 187 Previous Clothing Size: 28/30 Current Clothing Size: 8/10

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/17 1:45 pm

I agree! I have just begun and have so much more to learn and lose!

Jammur
on 5/14/17 3:26 pm
VSG on 10/12/16

I don't mind telling people how much I lost and if they ask how, I tell them the truth. Maybe they are looking for positive feedback about WLS? Maybe they are just nosey? Whatever. I guess I am more of an open book than most, and I am one of those people that doesn't have a very good filter, so I don't mind when I get it right back.

What I do find, now that my weight loss has stalled for the last couple of months, is that people still think I am losing weight and keep asking me. Now I gotta tell them I haven't lost anything in the last couple of months. Sometimes I see the disappointment on their faces. Sometimes I wonder if some people are hoping that I fail, and then I just think this whole thing is starting to get to me.

One thing is for sure, there is no way to hide being fat and there is no way to hide losing weight, so I guess you handle it the best way you can and don't worry about what works for someone else. Just do your thing.

yvranx42
on 5/15/17 10:19 am
VSG on 02/01/17

I'm the same way. Before surgery, I even posted a question on here about who I should tell about the surgery. Now, having lost 70+ lbs since surgery, I get asked frequently. And I just share. I find that many people are interested to hear more, and I've even referred a couple people to my surgeon.

Before the surgery - I think I had either a fear of judgment or a fear that people would download their horror stories/hearsay/old wives' tales and start influencing me out of doing it. Now that it's a done deal and that I'm headed in the right direction, I don't fear the judgment at all because I know this was the right decision for me, and maybe it's a good decision for the person I'm talking to or someone they know.

Plus - it's easier this way than trying to remember who I've told that I've had surgery or not.

ShoreToLose
on 5/16/17 3:52 am - Brick, NJ

I kinda basked in the first time when I had my first surgery in 2010. Now, that I had a Revision last week, and will be out for 5 weeks, I'm definitely gonna down play it this time. I know I'll have the haters saying "oh, u failed the first time so u had to have done again u loser" attitude.

I'm just going with "there have been many breakthroughs in medical techniques since my first surgery, blah, blah, blah."

1st Goal: 190 lbs. - Achieved 8/3/2010
2nd: Goal: 165 lbs. - `Achieved 11/2/2010
Valerie G.
on 5/16/17 7:55 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

For some reason, it's not so uncomfortable for me if I turn the compliment around at them...like this:

"What a thoughtful thing to say. I really appreciate that compliment" and "I'm very pleased with the results so far, too". Whatever numbers you want to disclose are up to you.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active