Ugh Chewable Vitamins

i_define_me
on 5/12/17 10:07 am
RNY on 06/14/17

So I am having my RNY on 06/27 I have started the chewable vitamins started with centrum silver and then I am using the CVS brand that is the spectravite. Honestly I have texture issues and always have. Trying to get these vitamins down has been a chore. I tried the bariatric fusion orange cream they were ok but left a horrible after taste. I feel like I am so screwed when it comes time for me to take these all the time because some days I just can't gag them down.

Anyone have any thoughts or options that I could try?

Meggles07
on 5/12/17 10:38 am - Canada

Does your clinic require you to use chewable vitamins? I take a regular prenatal multivitamin (I just swallow it whole), vitamin D, sublingual B12, and a chewy calcium citrate (mostly because I like them and consider them a daily treat ). I'm two years post-op and the only time I had an issue was when I got lazy about taking the vitamin D (silly thing for me to do).

For me I want vitamins I don't have to choke on because that is one thing we have to be careful about for life!!

Meg~

i_define_me
on 5/12/17 10:50 am
RNY on 06/14/17

They said because I'm RNY and because of malabsorbtion that chewables would be the best option. I just have texture issues so I'm struggling with this.

Meggles07
on 5/12/17 10:54 am - Canada

Yes, I'm an RNY as well (should have clarified :)

Obviously first choice is to follow your clinic, but if a time came where you couldn't do the chewable anymore you should definitely ask about taking a regular tablet (not gelcap).

i_define_me
on 5/12/17 10:55 am
RNY on 06/14/17

I may just do that I have a pre-op appt on June 15th so I will ask then and see what they say. Thank you!!

diane S.
on 5/12/17 11:18 am

gummies are better than the dry crunchy chewables. I just get the drug store brand or costco. gl. Gotta have them. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Fredbear
on 5/12/17 6:09 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

My surgeon's practice specifically forbids gummies... they simply don't have enough vitamins in them.

My advice is just "suck it up, buttercup!" ;-) You're an adult, take your vitamins whether you like them or not.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/12/17 7:25 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Gummies (adult and children's) as well as chewable children's vitamins are contra-indicated for post-WLS patients -- none of them supply the necessary micro-nutrients required. According to their guidelines, "Gummy vitamins are a perfect example of an multi-vitamin that IS NOT COMPLETE. Most gummy vitamins lack at minimum vitamin K, niacin, thiamin, magnesium, selenium, copper, manganese, and chromium present in most multivitamin tablets."

Deficiencies of these nutrients can then occur. For example, a thiamin deficiency can cause a burning sensation in the feet, numbness and tingling in the feet then hands, and can advance to mental confusion, peripheral neuropathy, and visual problems. A deficiency can be corrected and symptoms cured, however, some symptoms can be permanent if not caught early.

And as long as we are talking about what is in them -- gummy vitamins have another issue ... the big difference is sugar. Ingredients like glucose, corn syrup, and sucrose are first on the tally, and two or three grams of sugar are found in most gummy vitamins -- that adds up!!

Here's the recommendation via the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery:

ASMBS

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

iloveravens
on 5/12/17 4:00 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

A lot of us use the vitamin patches from Patchmd. You could ask your surgeon about them. I couldn't stand those bariatric vitamins.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

i_define_me
on 5/15/17 6:01 am
RNY on 06/14/17

I may look into this! Thank you! Anything to not have to chew them!

Most Active