Dumping Episode #2--Holy Cow Batman!!!

bruindiva92
on 5/12/17 8:06 am
Revision on 03/29/17

Who would think I dump on Premier Protein Vanilla Shake???!!!

I've been having chai with 3 oz of vanilla shake in the morning to replace my coffee. I've been doing great. So yesterday, I thought I would have a shake for a snack in a big cup of ice. I took 2 sips, yes 2 sips and almost collapsed immediately! I had to grab the rail to prevent falling.

I was able to find a chair and sit. Foamy mouth, nausea, sweats, shaking, the whole 9 yards! WTH? I had to eat a handful of nuts to ward off the nausea. I also had to eat 6 pepto tablets.

I seem to be adding more foods to my do not eat/drink list. On its own, the vanilla shake is sweet to my new taste buds. What's strange is that I did drink these during my full liquid stage with no problem. Not now.

I am now creating an emergency kit to keep in my purse!

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/17 12:26 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I found that very sweet is an immediate no on my stomach. For the protein drinks from premier, I add a cup of milk. It makes the shake a much heavier meal, but you get quite a lot of protein from the milk, so I call it good for awhile. I cannot drink them straight from the carton, they are too sweet on my stomach. As a once avid sweets eater, it's a big change!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/12/17 12:39 pm, edited 5/12/17 5:40 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Adding a cup of 2% milk adds 13 grams of sugar and 122 calories with only 8 grams of protein. Not sure how that would help dumping?

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/17 1:29 pm, edited 5/12/17 6:32 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I didn't say it did. I said what helped me get over how sweet premier protein is and I don't drink 2% milk I use fairlife skim which is 6 sugars 13g of protein and 80 calories.

Sorry I edited my last sentence since it sounded catty and I didnt mean to. I should have clarified in my first reply that I don't drink regular milk. I only use fairlife I love it

stacyrg
on 5/12/17 3:10 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Hi Bruin! As you may remember, I'm a VSG to RNY revision. I, sadly, dump. What you experienced doesn't sound anything like my dumping. I know right after my revision, I developed really bad lactose intolerance and it was triggered by, you guessed it, protein shakes. I would have reactions similar to what you had. What helped me was taking a lactaid pill with my first sip of shake. It tended to settle my stomach and allow me to get the drink down. It may be worth a try. I know it was a lifesaver for me.

If you have any other questions, please let me know and hope you're feeling better!!

bruindiva92
on 5/12/17 4:57 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

stacyrg,

Yes, I see you here all the time and I have being following your progress as well. I am doing much better today. Thank you for the info regarding lactaid pills. I haven't had any milk so I don't know how I will react.

I will add these to my arsenal.

stacyrg
on 5/12/17 5:58 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

There's lactose in whey based protein. You might want to try something like the Jay Robb egg protein, if you find you have a problem with whey. It's a bit gentler on the stomach. Only problem is it only comes in a powder and not pre-mixed!!!

rocky513
on 5/12/17 3:13 pm - WI

Check the label to see if it contains lactose. I would bet that you are lactose intolerant. Many of us become lactose intolerant after surgery. The only reason you would actually dump is if the shake was loaded with sugar.

Any protein that contains whey concentrate also contains lactose. Whey isolate is 99% lactose free. Don't mix powders with dairy milk. Use water, almond milk, cashew milk, etc.

Pepto tablets contain an aspirin derivative and are NSAIDS. WLS peeps are not suppose to take NSAIDS. You can develop ulcers from them. https://www.drugs.com/cdi/pepto-bismol-chewable-tablets.html

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/17 3:58 pm

Rocky thank you for posting about the Pepto. I had no idea.

This is why we come here to learn.

bruindiva92
on 5/12/17 4:54 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

Rocky,

Yes, I know about the NSAID's and haven't taken any until yesterday--I really thought I would have to go to ER or something. I will check the label.

Thanks for the heads up!

Most Active