My story as surgery is getting close.

Mewildman
on 5/11/17 11:54 am
RNY on 06/06/17

I haven't posted much on this site, but figured I should to hopefully start some connections for support. My surgery date in June 6th. Yes D-Day! Still very much leaning toward RNY, but waiting till I speak to the surgeon at my Pre Op which is tomorrow (May 12th). If you feel like reading my personal story here it is:

I started this journey early last year after having a long chat with my PCP about my Type 2 diabetes, ever increasing blood sugar levels, and the diminishing effects of medication.

My beginning weight was 298 pounds and I am 5'10" Starting BMI was 42.8. I started the Bariatric program at OHSU in Portland, OR in August 2016. Prior to my first weigh in I had lost a few pound and with an official starting weight 293 at the time, I was told I had to lose 5% or almost 15 pounds to qualify. Also because I had to get my A1C 8.0 (mine was 8.5). The Bariatric team and I made a target date for surgery in late November or early December 2016.

I was very busy getting all of the nutrition classes out of the way and got all of my testing done by October but hit a wall with my weight loss at 285 and had still not gotten an update A1C. In early November, I got an updated A1C of 7.5 clearing that hurdle. But still needing to lose an additional 7 lbs.

As the Holiday season was right around the corner, my wife and I talked and decided to not push for a surgery until after the first of the year. Of course allowing myself this pause for the holidays was not the best decision as far as effective weight loss. Then the winter from hell hit with record breaking snow and cold weather adding to the challenges of keeping an attitude conducive to pro-active diet and exercise. The good news was I hadn't gained back any of the 12 pounds I had lost to that point. I more or less went into an ambivalence phase where I thought about the surgery, but didn't seem to know what to do.

Finally in March, I made the decision to "Sh!$ or get off the pot" so to speak. Contacted OHSU and went to a refresher Nutrition Class to get back on track with my weight loss and by mid-April had lost the remaining weight and was approved by my insurance for the surgery on April 22nd.

As of today, my weight is 275 my BMI is 39.5 and due to a very low card diet (and I bet some weight loss), my blood sugars are remaining at a very steady 113 average. I haven't had an update A1C, but I would guess it would be in the 6.5 range. Of course that is still after taking a max dose of Metformin and 20 units of Lantus every night before bed.

My goal weight when all is said and done is 190 to 195. Even with the 20 or so pounds I have lost pre surgery, I am feeling so much better. The one exception is I injured my right elbow was injured scraping and shoveling snow and ice this winter. I'm seeing an orthopedic doctor this afternoon to see what I can do as it's not getting better. I know I will be unable to take NSAIDS after the surgery. I want to be all ready to start some upper body weight training once I get the all clear to do so.

Anyway, if you have stayed with my story to this point I thank you. Hope to hear your story as well. Take care all.

pr31
on 5/11/17 1:12 pm

Welcome and best wishes. It's important to be mentally ready for this as well as physically so perhaps the extra time was a good thing. I'm certainly no expert, but from what I understand, RNY is usually the recommended option for folks with Diabetes. You and your healthcare team should weigh all the options and make the decision that is best for you. So far, WLS has been fantastic for me. No complications and almost one-year post-op and I am just a few pounds from my personal goal. I weighed in at my first nutrition consult at 290 in October 2015. Surgery weight was approx. 239 (I forget the exact weight but think it's in my signature line) on June 3, 2016. I'm glad I had that long to prepare myself. As of this morning I was 132. I'm 5'2" so I'm at the top of the "normal" BMI range. I'd like to lose about 5 or 10 lbs. more to have some wiggle room.

Surgery Date June 3, 2016

HW: 329 W at first consult 290. SW 238, LW 128, CW 139

Grim_Traveller
on 5/11/17 1:19 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Welcome! This will be the best thing you ever did.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/11/17 1:32 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Hey thanks for sharing

To be honest, I was expecting to read that due to the winter you gained weight, etc. I was bummed, because I was expecting excuses for gaining back weight and having time drawn out yada yada, but it was not that at all! Thats fantastic you kept it off thru the winter, and have continued on now to drop the needed weight

You should feel very proud. Going thru the hurdles (and seemingly maintenance part) of preop approval weeds a lot of people out.

Great job so far, and looking forward to hearing your progress.

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Mewildman
on 5/11/17 3:24 pm
RNY on 06/06/17

Yes, during the holidays and winter months I did keep myself on a level track at least... which was hard with Thanksgiving and Christmas. I kept the idea of the surgery in my head, but there is some truth to the notion that if goals are not time limited, they don't mean as much.

Mewildman
on 5/11/17 3:46 pm
RNY on 06/06/17

Update on my elbow - Just returned from the Ortho doctor and all is okay. Tendinitis (as I expected) He offered to give me a cortisone injection, however being that i am having surgery soon and the fact that cortisone can cause havoc with blood sugar levels we decided to wait till after my surgery. The good news is I am down another two pounds (at 273) from my last official weigh in. i would like to be at 270 on surgery day.

Tomorrow are my Pre op's with the surgeon and anesthesiologist. so I will make the final decision on which procedure I am having, most likely RNY. Also I should hear what they want me to do as far as pre-surgery diet. The information packet OHSU put out only says a liquid diet the day before surgery. On Monday i have my pre-surgery nutritional class.

Saturday is my 53rd Birthday so we are going to celebrate by going out for dinner.... I promise to be a good boy and keep things in perspective.

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/17 7:38 pm

Good for you sharing. It does help to come here to get support and give it.

Mewildman
on 5/12/17 7:40 pm
RNY on 06/06/17

Had my Pre-Op appointment today met the Surgeon. she seemed really great and after getting her feedback. i have made the final decision to continue by plan for RNY surgery. She said that with diabetes at the level of mine both surgery options wold be favorable a dramatic decline in the amount of medication I have to take, but said with RNY I will have a much better chance of going into actual remission and will no longer be a factor in my life.

I also did my pre-op blood work and met with an Anesthesiologist... She said all is looking good. I'll feel better once my lab results come back. I'm not expecting anything to have changed much, except that my A1C is lower then my last.

Most Active