Head hunger strategies?

AggieMae
on 5/8/17 2:27 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

For the past few months I have been getting the urge to eat. My food choices are ok but I have had to fight the urge to eat about once a week every. I managed by distracting myself with building miniature furniture, sewing, grooming the dogs and other things I can't do while eating.

Once a week and sometimes twice a week I could manage, but now this is happening three or four days a week, and honestly I am not usually hungry. Most worrisome, it's starting to happen at work, so boredom isn't the issue.

I make up my food for the whole day ahead of time. When it's gone, I'm done. It's mid afternoon and I have already eaten over 2/3 of my daily food allotment.

I have a counseling appointment next week but how nasty, the new therapist at the office isn't that great.

I need expert advice! Can anyone share their strategies?

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/17 4:07 pm, edited 5/8/17 1:02 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

I am far from an expert but am just chiming in to say that I know this struggle! So far drinking tea, cleaning, and imagining myself free from the need to compulsively eat have helped. A little.

Erin T.
on 5/8/17 5:50 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

It really helps me to eat at specific times of the day. I mean, we're a busy family so it doesn't work ALL the time. But, work days generally go pretty well. I have breakfast 8:30-9am (while at work). Lunch I don't eat until 1-1:30pm (I use the 12-1 hour to get a walk in most days). Dinner happens whenever I get it cooked, but generally we aren't eating until 6-7pm. If I have a daytime snack it's eaten 3-4pm, I don't get time/want it all days. Finally, I have my protein shake before bed and I drink that 8:30-9pm. It helps me to know if I feel "fake hunger" and look at the clock that it's not a meal time and therefore, I can't eat.

I've also used this when I'm traveling or otherwise bored/in the car/stagnant. When I set myself clear boundaries it seems to help.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

denaraye
on 5/9/17 5:09 am - MI

I have read that many times this is actually our body telling us we need more water. Try drinking a glass of water and then wait at least 20 minutes and see if the urge to eat passes.

I too have started eating on a time schedule. If I am hunger in between times, I drink water. I just started this and am hoping to make it my new habit. Yes I get hungry, but I am stronger than my hunger!

I am no expert - but this is my strategy. :)

I am no longer defined, by the wreckage behind!

yvranx42
on 5/9/17 7:48 am
VSG on 02/01/17

This is definitely happening to me too. I haven't experienced physical hunger since getting my sleeve, but the urge to eat is still there. For me, it's much less present when I'm busy and distracted. Sometimes I can stop it by drinking some tea or water, and the mentally refocusing on something else.

Since you said it's happening at work, and it's not an issue of boredom, try this mental exercise. It works for me on things that are out of my control and when I get some mild anxiety (pretty sure head hunger falls into that category).

First, I accept that this thought/event/action exists. I ask myself - what specific action can I take at this exact moment that will impact this, knowing that eating to address the issue is simply not an option. I work on mental acceptance that this exists (whatever it is), and allow it to exist. Then, make the mental effort to refocus on whatever needs to get accomplished in the present (be it work, sleeping, or anything else). This taps into my rational brain and helps me separate the emotion from the issue that is bothering me.

I remember that someone posted on here about making an extensive list of things you can do other than eat. I like that concept but haven't implemented it yet.

iloveravens
on 5/9/17 1:56 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

Around nine months was when I really noticed hunger again. I bought adult coloring books a lot the first year. Anytime I felt like eating (either boredom, head hunger, etc) I'd just take out the coloring books and fill a large tumbler with ice and crystal light. Drinking and coloring. It helped.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

AggieMae
on 5/10/17 11:01 am
VSG on 10/25/16

Thanks for the helpful replies. When the stress at work hits 10 I lock myself into my office and color. I'm going to try EMR to reduce my stress at work.

Most Active