NSV: my first triathlon

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/7/17 7:48 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

On a whim, I decided to sign up for a triathlon a few months ago. I do a ton of cycling, I'm a pretty good swimmer, and I hate to run, but 2 outta 3 ain't bad, right? Swim .5mi, ride 12mi, run 3mi.

The race was women-only and billed as UBER-noncompetitive, open to women of all ages, shapes, fitness levels, and experience. I couldn't have picked a better race to start with!

I'm don't consider myself an athlete, so my goals were to (in order):

1. Have fun
  2. Not die
  3. Finish
  4. Finish in under 2:30:00
  5. Keep over 13mph on my bike
  6. Run at least 25% of the last leg

I'm proud to report that I finished 5 of the 6 goals-- I walked most of the last leg. BUT I totally finished!

My setup in the transition area. I have the most stylin' bike around!

I finished in a total of 2:08:00, rank 245 out of 291 participants, though my swim time was #184 and my bike leg was #194. Much better than I expected! I kept a bike pace of 13.8mph (if my math is right) which is MUCH better than my average so far this season.

So I wasn't fast by any stretch of the imagination, but I FINISHED, and I had a BLAST, which is WAAAAAY more than I could do before surgery! I had so much fun, in fact, that I've signed up for another triathlon in September.

Once the race-day pictures go up on Facebook, I'm totally going to print one out and put it on my fridge as proof that I can do hard things :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

oneatatime
on 5/7/17 8:39 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Congratulations!! That sounds amazing!

i am still pre-op, way early stage of this journey, but a couple of weeks ago, I was looking at exactly this type of race online. Women's fun-tri. It's a major goal of mine.

How inspiring that you've accomplished it, and had such a great time doing it!!!

on 5/7/17 8:44 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You should go for it! The environment was super supportive, no ego at all. It was a great introduction to the sport!

CC C.
on 5/7/17 8:43 pm

Very inspiring! Great job!

jenorama
on 5/7/17 8:44 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

That is fantastic! Can you imagine if present you had appeared to five-years-ago you?

"Julie! It's me, Julie! Hey, imma let you finish that bag of chips, but check it out! Five years from today, you're going to complete a triathlon! Oh, honey, you got crumbs ... yeah, you got 'em. Anyway, I just wanted to swing by and let you know not to panic or ... aaaahhh, you're not really listening, are you?"

I'm so proud of you!

Jen

seattledeb
on 5/7/17 10:43 pm

That is so amazing. Big congrats.

peachpie
on 5/8/17 2:32 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Awesome!! Congrats for doing it AND beating your planned time!

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Gina 22 years out
on 5/8/17 3:31 am - Burleson, TX

JULIE - 5 or 6 years ago, could you have even imagined such a thing???? I am in total awe, of you!!! I would get down, and bow, but I probably couldn't get back up!!!

You ABSOLUTELY can do hard things..and whatever word there is that is HARDER than HARD...of yea--CHILDBIRTH..and you aced that one, too !!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

on 5/8/17 7:55 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Oh man, you made me realize that I managed to finish a triathlon in less time than it took me to push out my kid... I pushed for three freakin' hours!! LOL

Hippie Lady
on 5/7/17 9:15 pm - Warren, OH

This is an accomplishment that you will remember for the rest of your life. Even if you come in last in a race, there are at least seven billion people in the world who could not even attempt it.

You are a rockstar.

Enjoy.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active