Has your surgeon yelled at you

LillithsDemons
on 5/5/17 3:57 pm
RNY on 03/14/17

maybe this is normal but has your surgeon ever yelled at you? I'm just shy of 2 months out from my gastric bypass and had a follow up visit. this is the 2nd time my surgeon has raised his voice at me. the first time was because i vomited after surgery. i had a small fever in the 1st 24 hours after recovery and vomited and he yelled that I was going to rip stitches. he stopped because i cried.

this time he yelled at me because i asked if i could drink coffee yet. i thought my plan said 2 months but it says 4. he yelled that it was fine if i wanted an ulcer and then asked me if id read the post-op plan. i have but i made a mistake and thought it was 2 months and he yelled that even so it hasn't been 2 months yet.

Im suppose to go back at 4 months but I don't even want to.

does anyone else's dr yell at them?

am i just oversensitive?

reree6898
on 5/5/17 4:15 pm - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

Totally not ok, he sounds like a nut job on a power trip. Its not ok to be like that when it was in the first instance something beyond your control and secondly for asking a question. I could see him getting upset if you were purposely doing things to sabotage the surgery.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

Patty R.
on 5/5/17 4:53 pm - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

I'm so sorry you had this experience!! As a nursing professional, I have often reminded patients that the doctor is working for YOU. You pay for his services, just like you pay the mechanic who works on your car. If your not satisfied, you'd tell the mechanic, right?

I know it's easy for me to say, but I would go to the next visit. You have 2 months to practice, if needed, to come back with an "excuse me, I DID read the plan, but I still had a question" or " you don't need to raise your voice, I can hear you"!

In my experience, surgeons have an inflated ego. Not all of course, but...

I'm sorry if I've been too bossy, but Doctors who are bullies really frost my a$$!!

Good luck to you !!!

Lap-Band 2007 out 2013 RnY 2016 Age 64 5'6" HW 294 SW 284 LW 214 CW 235.2 goal 199

G. Dean Roye, MD FACS

Patty

cc583
on 5/5/17 5:13 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

It is NOT ok for your dr to yell at you!!! You did nothing intentionally.

My surgeon has not yelled at me but his PA has. Well, lets just say that we had a vigorous disagreement. We were arguing because I am not eating the amount of carbs that she wants me to. After arguing for a bit she finally said "who has the degree, me or you?" We did finally agree to disagree but she is most definitely is not happy with me. Oh well! Go protein! :)

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

Daisydoo02
on 5/5/17 5:30 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

you know what Chris when she said "who has the degree here" you should have answered her back in the same tone of voice "who has the VSG/RNY here, me or you?" pretty sure that would shut her up!!

And yes GO PROTEIN!

cc583
on 5/5/17 6:58 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

I love it Daisy! You are absolutely right!!! Trust me, if it happens again, I will sure as hell be shutting her up! Thanks for the advice!

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

Grim_Traveller
on 5/5/17 5:34 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

He sounds like an ass. He was out of line.

Surgeons kow surgery. I wouldn't count on them for anything else.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Daisydoo02
on 5/5/17 5:44 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Sorry to hear this, that is really awful. My surgeon has never yelled at me and no one on his team has either and that crap does not fly with me. I am a medical professional myself, I work with a lot of doctors, surgeons, nurses, NPs, etc etc, and not only are most (but not all) surgeons ego manics but most hospitals/centres have a code of conduct/respect in the workplace/patients as partners kind of program happening. You have every right to call him on his raised voice and attitude.

Unless you can see someone else at your 4 month mark you work on your confidence between now and then. Prepare yourself for him to be an ass have lines like "not sure if you are having a bad day but I don't appreciate your attitude or being spoken that way!" or if he goes off on you about "didn't you read the the post op plan" you can say "in fact I did read the post op plan but your condescending attitude make me flustered and I forgot, I am just asking for clarification so I can do this right."

Don't take his crap, sorry you had to go through that. Chin up you did nothing wrong. Best of Luck.

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Cathy H.
on 5/5/17 5:46 pm, edited 5/5/17 10:47 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Pffft...I dare a surgeon, or any doctor for that matter, to yell at me. They are welcome to admonish me if they think I've done something wrong, but they better do it with a civil tone.

No, you are not oversensitive! I don't now how old you are, but I know some doctors feel like they can do crap like that if you're young. They count on younger people being too timid to stand up for themselves.

Next time anyone, much less someone you are PAYING for a service, yells at you, put your hand up, say "STOP!" in a commanding but not yelling voice, and when they do stop, tell them in a calm and steady voice, "I will NOT be yelled at! If you can't respond to my honest questions in a civil manner, then we are done here!"

If you don't feel comfortable standing up to him, then just call and reschedule your appointments with the PA, and tell that them that, due to his abrasive and abusive manner, you refuse to see the surgeon again.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

AggieMae
on 5/5/17 5:56 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

This is totally unacceptable.

Report him to your state medical board and the patient care coordinator at the hospital where y I u had your surgery. Call or send the same short statement to both places include your contact info.

This Dr needs intervention. You'd be doing both him and his patients a service.

Most Active