Loose skin !

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/17 3:40 pm
VSG on 05/01/17

My worst surgery was my tonsillectomy I did that last year it was awful but we live threw it

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/5/17 7:49 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Search for "loose skin" using the search bar at the top of the page. This question gets asked a lot and you'll find some good input.

Bottom line is there's really nothing you can do about it. Lotions, creams, hydration, it's all a crapshoot about how you come out.

While you'll definitely come across some folks here who think plastics are a must to be successful, not everybody wants or needs it. I've got some jiggly extra stomach skin, but most days I don't even bother to wear shapewear because it's not all that bad and I've long since accepted it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/17 8:12 am
VSG on 05/01/17

Thank you, I will search it and see if anyone has said anything helpful. I hope mine is minimal but it is what it is. My main concern is getting healthy

Janet P.
on 5/5/17 11:46 am

I'm sure at 25 that is one of our concerns, but right now focus on losing. The skin may bounce back but please don't count on it. Age is on your side but elasticity only goes so far.

As others mentioned creams, etc., don't work so don't waste your money. My suggestion would be that once you have been cleared by your surgeon to start exercising and working out, you should absolutely do that. Invest in a personal trainer if you can. If you build muscle under the skin, it will help smooth the skin.

I was in my mid-40's when I had my surgery and the skin did not bounce back (after being obese my entire adult life). I was fortunate that I had a tummy tuck and a breast lift (TT was covered by insurance and I paid for the breast lift). Recovery from the TT was awful for me and I would never have plastics again. But I've also had friends who had very easy recoveries - no "one size fits all" so don't let what other people say about recovery stop you when the time comes.

Good luck!

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/17 3:43 pm
VSG on 05/01/17

It looks so painful. When the time comes I'll worry about it. I'm definitely looking to get back to the gym as soon as I'm allowed to. I think I'm over surgeries for a while maybe in a few years I'll think about it again

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 5/6/17 4:07 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I had a TT - it really wasn't bad at all.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

MarinaGirl
on 5/5/17 3:10 pm

My PS said that losing weight fast or slow doesn't make a difference with regards to loose skin. He said the damage is done by weight gain, not loss. So when you lose weight is when the damage becomes visible.

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/17 3:44 pm
VSG on 05/01/17

Yes all the weight has stretched the skin losing it just shows how bad it is. I'm still excited to lose the weight thou

Valerie G.
on 5/6/17 12:56 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

There is no exercise, cream, or lotion that will tighten up permanently damaged skin, so don't waste your money on any witch potions and save for plastic surgery if you must. Your parents having tight skin is promising along with your youth, but it's a crapshoot as to what you get on the other side. As you get to a size XL or L, start trying on the lycra undergarments. They do wonders for your confidence.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/17 2:14 pm
VSG on 05/01/17

Thank you, I'm about to Google them now and check them.

Most Active