HELP! No Judgements, I already feel like crap!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/4/17 2:24 pm

Whatever answer you are seeking won't be found in a candy bar wrapper or at the bottom of a soda can. You will have to decide for yourself if you prefer the temporary happiness from sugar or the long term happiness from keeping your weight off.

Most of us have things we cannot have in moderation, and sweets seems to be yours. You will have to decide for yourself if you think you are worth the effort.

Surgery is not set it and forget it. It is work. If you fall down, get back up. But removing temptations will help you fall less.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Readyjwc
on 5/4/17 3:30 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

No judgement here! First, congrats on the 100 lbs - that was a great accomplishment!

I think everyone slips up now and then. Maybe you miss a workout, eat more Halo Top ice cream than you should etc.

Now is the time you put on your big girl panties and get back to basics. You KNOW how to do it and you will.No room for doubts and beating yourself up. You've got this!

Get rid of the soda and the candy. No ifs, ands, or buts.

-Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Lipsticklady
on 5/4/17 5:02 pm
VSG on 05/14/13
On May 4, 2017 at 12:07 PM Pacific Time, Tdheason wrote:

I had surgery ryn surgery 11 months ago, I stopped losing weight at 142 lb (was 242) but I also started eating way more and I can eat a pretty good serving of food now. Nothing I eat makes me sick, which is horrible because I'm having a horrible sweet tooth and have been eating a candy bar just about every day. I am not eating fast food but I have been eating so much sugar and drink 2 seven oz. cans of Dr. Pepper a day. The entire time after surgery I have had a really tough time drinking water and I hate flavored water, makes me want to throw up. I know my pouch has stretched. I am now at 147 lb. I am walking 2 miles a day.

I know some people on here can be horrible and so judgmental and don't worry I have already said all the bad stuff to myself so don't need to hear what a failure I am, I already know what a total loser I am. I just need help and encouragement right now. Tell me how to get back on track or have I already messed way to badly?

First and foremost, GOOD FOR YOU on your 100 pound weight loss.

Second, STOP STOP STOP calling yourself a failure and a loser. Negative self talk does nothing but drive one back into bad habits. You need to hold your head high, celebrate your successes so far and CONGRATULATE yourself on recognizing that you have a problem before you gain 10 more, 20 more, 30 more...

You know what the problem is. You said it over and over so I don't have to repeat it. I, too, had a really hard time with plain water after surgery. In fact, I am four years out next week and there are still times tha****er makes me immediately throw up. I can't stand Crystal Light nor do I drink tea. I found that I could tolerate water much better with a packet of true line or true lemon in it. My doc gave me permission to mix water/gatorade with a 3:1 ratio. At six months out, I was cleared to drink Coke Zero as long as I got in at least 60oz of calorie free liquids a day. (Yup. I have no doubt, Imma' hear it for that one -- don't bother, I'm not asking anyone's permission here.) Have you tried diet Dr.Pepper? Even better, have you tried fizzy water? That went down for me really well. My winning drink was Hin****er. It has no calories, it barely tastes of fruit and when it is cold, it went down beautifully. Look for it!

Stop buying the candy bars, no more cookies, or other sugary foods. Try subbing a protein bar or better, a protein shake with extra crushed ice for more fluid intake.

It's not the same, but it's better.

You can do this. You deserve it. You are worth it. When you believe that, you will achieve that.

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

Tdheason
on 5/5/17 6:52 am
RNY on 06/27/16

Thanks so much, I'm starting over really good today and from now on. I did go clothes shopping last night and had so much fun picking out a size 8, that was motivation enough to know I don't want to go back to a 18/20. Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!

Gwen M.
on 5/5/17 8:43 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I read your previous post where you said that you weren't actually weighing/tracking your food - did you start?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

myjourney2017
on 5/6/17 12:30 pm
VSG on 04/26/17

u can do it! its never ever too late. just remember how good u felt at the lower weight and try to eat healthier. think about what u put in ur mouth and limit yourself. dont just eat what u want...eat what u need to nurish ur body. put the soda down. drink coffee or tea instead.

its not easy!! dont allow urself to giveu*****t care. u did the surgery so go back to the basics. have a hersey kiss instead of candy bar...really acknowlwdge everything ur putting in ur mouth!!! and exercise more..good luck

Renren
on 5/7/17 10:10 am
VSG on 12/02/15

I quit eating sugar because it makes me feel hungry and unsatisfied. Getting off the sugar is not fun, but after a short while I felt so much better. Now when I look at something sweet, I think I could eat that if I want to feel like I'm starving for a few days. 2 minutes of pleasure or 2 days of misery, so I just skip it. I don't even taste sweets, it just keeps the craving alive.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

vgirl123
on 5/8/17 2:36 pm
RNY on 04/03/17

First, Please stop telling yourself you are a looser. You are a human being that struggles with food like most if not all on this site do. You have to be your biggest cheerleader. My advise is go back to the basics. Portion control Protein shakes. You can do this. Get rid of the guilt that will entrap you and make you crave even more. Continue to exercise set a goal of one to two pounds a week or a month. Slowly but surely you will get to where you want to be. Think of the great weight loss you have accomplished an focus on that. You did this before you can do it again. I wish you the best and remember you have to be your biggest supporter no one else can do this for you but you!.

Au_Contraire
on 5/9/17 1:02 am

I'm responding as someone who has been dieting since age 19, though I haven't yet had surgery.

You are doing wonderfully, not terribly. You are a lovely, brave and good person, so not a total loser, and certainly not a failure. You have lost 100 pounds!!! That in itself is a testament to your grit and determination! So you have a small regain. It isn't ideal, but it is something you can definitely turn around, and quickly. My best advice to you is to write down a list of all the good qualities you possess. And sit with those, and own them, and forgive yourself for your human failings. We all have them, we have to learn not to feed those monsters when they start hijacking our thoughts. Also, therapy! I am finally embracing that myself after a lifetime of insisting it wasn't for me I am bursting with readiness! I think a good therapist with experience in this field can really help us to confront the demons pitchforking us into Dr. Pepper and candy bars. I suspect you know all of the practical ways you can address this.

I personally like water but I like it even more with a lemon wedge in it. Would that make it more palatable for you? Lemon - lime - tangerine - watermelon- etc. - organic is important IMO because you're using the rind. Just soak a tiny bit of the fruit in the water and it will imbue it with a subtle and wonderful flavor without adding much of anything other than taste. Also, though this may be too woo-woo for you or for others here (but not for me! lol!), sometimes I pour myself a glass of water and then close my eyes and think about where it came from. Water is the very oldest substance on this earth - I think of it as pure liquid stardust, ancient and mysterious, far from plebian. I pour the water and think of pure cool transparent rain amongst the pines, and shimmering rainbow mists in deep country, of tiny crystalline mountain streams, of pure sparkling springs emerging from deep in the earth. I think of snow. And then when I actually sip the water it tastes wonderful to me, like snow and the sweetest memories of childhood winters. I dunno if that would work for you, I know it sounds silly. But it works for me and helps me to appreciate the water I drink. I wish you the very best of luck! Be kind to yourself!

denaraye
on 5/9/17 4:36 am - MI

How great that you walk 2 miles a day! That is awesome in my eyes. Exercise is definitely where I struggle most. So first off celebrate that accomplishment. Then celebrate your total loss and know in your heart you've done it before, you can do it again!

You can never mess up too badly to start again. Step one - get rid of the candy bars and Dr. Pepper. We don't drink water because we love it, we drink it because our bodies crave it.

You can do this!

I am no longer defined, by the wreckage behind!

Most Active