HELP! No Judgements, I already feel like crap!

Notaboutperfect
on 5/4/17 6:59 am
VSG on 11/08/16

I think it would be supremely unfair to harshly judge someone for catching themselves slipping. On the contrary, I'm thankful for your openness since this is likely a position I could find myself in.

You're recognizing every thing you need to correct. You've already proven that you can do this and your success has been amazing. Find a way to get fired up and go for it!

Tdheason
on 5/4/17 7:04 am
RNY on 06/27/16

I just feel like I'm the only one that has messed up this badly. Thanks everyone for your encouragement, I can do this. I'm starting with no more sugary sodas today!

Deanna798
on 5/4/17 8:15 am
RNY on 08/04/15

You are most definitely not the only person who has done this. I'm 21 month post surgery, and struggle with food and carbs.

It will get so much easier once you cut the carbs and break the craving cycle. The most important thing is that while you might struggle, just never give up and don't stop trying.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

MonaLyssa33
on 5/5/17 2:16 am - Minneapolis, MN
VSG on 02/20/17

You are not the only one who has slipped up a little, you are just one of those who had the courage to recognize a problem and ask for guidance.

Highest Weight ~400, Surgery Weight 293, Current Weight 227, Goal Weight 180

Highest BMI: 59.1, Current BMI: 32, Goal BMI: 25

VSG on February 20, 2017

Pokemom
on 5/5/17 7:02 am, edited 5/5/17 12:02 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Lots of us mess up. Example: me me me! It is a hard road, and sometimes we stumble. Sometimes we fall down hard and have a really hard time getting back on our feet. Sometimes we just want to sit in the dirt and cry, or wander off to the side and nap. But we can get back up, we can return to the path, and we can keep going.

While putting together a program for some high school graduates this month, I came upon this quote:

Real courage is holding on to a still voice in your head that says, "I must keep going." It's that voice that says nothing is a failure if it is not final. That voice that says to you, "Get out of bed. Keep going. I will not quit."

--Cory Booker

akanikkie
on 5/7/17 9:41 am
VSG on 04/27/15

You are NOT the only one and no judgement here! I have abandoned my good habits and have gained back 27 pounds. Going back to the basics we were taught and used successfully is the only way to do it! I am on this journey with you - I know we can do it! Or and btw, thank you for sharing this with us! Your share will help others!

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321

Hippie Lady
on 5/4/17 7:23 am - Warren, OH

Actually, many people do exactly what you do. The first one hundred pounds is so easy. That is the gift of the surgery.

After that you need to continue to lose 10, 20 or even 30 pounds to allow a cushion for regain.

The serious regain does not happen until year three. For the next year you can coast along with eating and drinking sugar and your weight will stay about the same.

By six months your pouch has reached its normal size and there will be little restriction to stop you from overeating.

You have made the common mistake of thinking that you are in maintenance, when you are just still getting the benefit of malabsorption.

During year three all of that malabsorption will go away and serious regain will begin. By year five you will have 50 or more pounds of regain.

Your experience is common and the reason why many insurance companies no longer pay for weight loss surgery.

The only way this surgery works long term is if you decide to use this honeymoon period to learn how to eat so that you do not regain.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

alaskasusan
on 5/5/17 10:16 pm - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

I'd like this a hundred times if I could! You are spot on White Dove, and I just this evening had this conversation with my WLS angel (an 11-year band and she's still happy with it) about how RNY 'magic' ends at a certain point and you'd better have your head in the game to avoid/beat regain. I am still very VERY happy every day that I did this; and I still track every single thing that goes in my mouth. Otherwise it'll be mindless and that has already led to some regain (now gone).

I think this is not really discussed enough pre-op, and I need to get to some support meetings to listen in on this topic...and maybe speak up.

OP: you have some excellent support here, glad you had the courage to seek it out. Your tool still works, so you have that going for you..and you're active. I really think you'll get to your goal, just don't give up or lose focus. Good luck!

MarinaGirl
on 5/4/17 8:54 am

It's hard to give up sugar. You may experience withdrawal headaches and fatigue at the beginning. Don't give in and once you get over the hump the cravings should lessen considerably. Unfortunately, you may be someone that can't have an occasional sweet treat; instead, you need to limit them altogether or at least for awhile. We have faith in you. You can do this!

AggieMae
on 5/4/17 9:14 am
VSG on 10/25/16

Stopping intake of empty calories, like soda, is a good start but by stating (believing) that your only option is never having any sugar again then you are setting yourself up for a cycle of shame and self loathing.

Surgery should not sentence us to a life of feeling deprived and apart from society. We can and should eat a variety of foods w enjoy. I watch how my thin friend eat. None of them has a candy bar every day but they do eat a desert sometimes. i have a bite or two of desert now and then.

Ill post the recipe for chocolate protein balls (I do put CBD marijuana in mine) in the RECIPIES thread later. They are about the size of a Hershey Kiss and have ~4 grams of protein per serving. In my case I freeze them and take out just one to eat as needed for joint pain.

BTW, congratulations on your weight loss and having the insight to know you have to prevent weight gain before you regained lots of weight!

Most Active