Thinking about mini gastric bypas

Sammymac1974
on 5/3/17 4:36 pm - cambridge, Canada

Has anyone had a mini gastric bypass? I am considering having one done with Dr. Cobourn in Mississauga, but I have read that heartburn is a problem after mini gastric bypass. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has had it done.?

Beam me up Scottie
on 5/3/17 6:02 pm
There is a reason that the mini gastric bypass has not taken off. Over the 11 years on this site, I've seen surgeries come and go. Stick with the surgeries that have long term results (my opinion, only my opinion, I'm not speaking for anyone else on this forum, but yeah that is again my opinion). RNY or the DS....if you are a light weight and only want restriction the VSG but recognize in a year or two you'll be able to out eat your surgery.

MarinaGirl
on 5/3/17 6:15 pm, edited 5/3/17 11:15 am

I had a Mini Gastric Bypass and am very happy with it. Heartburn is not a common problem with it and reflux usually improves afterwards in people that had it prior to surgery.

An important recommendation to minimize ulcers in any Bypass or VSG patient is no smoking or alcohol, as well as minimal coffee and carbonated beverages. I also steer clear of artificial sweeteners, especially sugar alcohols (chemicals ending in -itol, such as malitol & xylitol) as they now cause my stomach to be upset; no biggie as they're not helpful for weight loss.

The MGB procedure is very popular abroad and with some great surgeons in the U.S.!

Sammymac1974
on 5/3/17 6:25 pm - cambridge, Canada

Where did you have your MGB done? How did you decide which surgeon was right for you? It seems that they all have positive and negative reviews.

chevtow41
on 5/4/17 3:45 pm
DS on 11/11/14

You've had the surgery for less than a month lmao. But you're very happy with it. Please let us know again after you've actually lived the life

oneatatime
on 5/3/17 7:54 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Hey there, I looked at the MGB, but it's not one of the surgeries covered by OHIP, which was an important factor for me.

That's not a route you want to go?

AggieMae
on 5/4/17 9:25 am
VSG on 10/25/16

MGB has been around for twenty years but still isn't covered by any insurance I know of. That alone would make me think long and hard about the procedure.

MarinaGirl
on 5/3/17 9:45 pm

I had my surgery in Tijuana. I was self-pay because my insurance doesn't cover WLS. I did a lot of research and one of the key criteria for selecting my surgeon was his U.S. training and that he is a Fellow, American College of Surgeons (FACS) and Fellow, American Society for Bariatric Surgery (FASMBS). At first I thought I wanted a VSG but he said that would not be good because of my GERD history. So I researched the surgery he recommended, including reading studies in journals detailing its efficacy and safety, and made my decision.

Grim_Traveller
on 5/4/17 4:17 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Why are you interested in the mini gastric bypass?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sammymac1974
on 5/4/17 4:59 am - cambridge, Canada

I'm interested in MGB because, from what I have read, it seems to have similar results as a gastric bypass but it has less risk. I am doing self pay because I have been waiting years for OHIP to cover it, but it turns out that my doctor & the Wharton clinic both thought that the other had put my name on the bariatric registry, however neither actually did it. So I cannot stand the thought of waiting any longer, I'm ready to take my life back. The surgeon that I prefer doesn't do gastric bypass anymore, only mini gastric bypass, because he feels it is a safer option for patients.

Most Active