Mowing the yard

reree6898
on 4/26/17 8:19 pm - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

Ok so this is about weight loss so what in the world am I naming a post "Mowing the yard" for? As I have mentioned previously my ex walked out on us last summer. When that happened my brother in law and my next door neighbor graciously helped me by taking care of my yard for the remainder of the summer so that I had one less thing to worry about amongst the chaos. Since the divorce was finalized a few months ago and now spring is upon us again it was time for me to put on my big girl pants and work out taking care of my yard myself. I know if I asked either my brother in law or my neighbor I am sure they would take care of the yard for me again but it was time to figure it out myself. I have a push mower in my shed so today was the day to pull it out and get to work. I have honestly been dreading this. The last time I have even tried to mow was when I first bought my house like 9 years ago. At that time I had bought a plug in electric mower and I mowed half the yard and gave up and hired someone to cut it until my ex and I married and he took over the job. So today as I pulled out the gas push mower and started it up I was resentful at first. I was having the mental pity party of how I shouldn't have to do this and how my ex should have been the man he promised to be and he should be the one here mowing the darn yard. Then I got over myself and got to work.

As I worked my way back and forth through the yard I soon realized that I could do this. I realized that physically I now had the strength and endurance to mow the yard and not feel like I was dying and not feel like my heart was going to beat out of my chest. Now my lines in the grass may not be perfect or straight even and it may not have been the best job in the world but I did it. I mowed the entire yard without stopping and without even being in pain from my back or knees. I will say I'm not looking forward to mowing when the heat of the summer kicks in but I know that I will be able to handle it and get it done. This is not something I could have even done 200 plus pounds ago. I may not be thrilled to mow my yard but I'm so thankful to have a yard to mow and the ability to mow it.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

Hippie Lady
on 4/26/17 8:38 pm - Warren, OH

I had a husband who considered lawns to be a man's job. He always said to stay away from that equipment because I would probably break it.

My friend's husband felt the same way.

Both of us are widows now and one day she called me and said, "Remember when Joe told you to stay away from your lawn mower and Ted told me to stay away from ours?"

Well we are both cutting our lawns now and have not broken those mowers.

It is amazing what we can do when we set our mind to doing it. And the weight loss makes it much easier.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Grim_Traveller
on 4/27/17 3:37 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Congratulations. That's a nice win. There are a million of these things we don't even think about when we have WLS. Life is so much easier.

But to be honest, I thought your "Mowing the Yard" post title was going to be a euphemism.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cathy H.
on 4/27/17 3:40 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/27/17 3:45 am

This is a great NSV. Congratulations!!!

The day I can't afford to pay someone to cut my lawn- I will put artificial turf down. Or make my yard into a rock garden.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 4/27/17 4:51 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Some people don't like to "mow their own lawn." It's a lot more enjoyable to have someone "mow the lawn" for you.

6'3" tall, male.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/27/17 8:27 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Here in Arizona, nobody has grass lawns, all of the landscaping is gravel. I pick a few weeds every Saturday morning, and that's IT. No mowing, no raking, no hassle. It's amazing!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/27/17 8:58 am, edited 4/27/17 1:58 am

I can move... lol.. to a new place with no yard - or new state...

My fiends in Co have gravels for the front and .. artificial turf at the back... but they do have small lawns.

I've been in SC for 21 years. I don't know how to use lawn mover, nor do I want to learn that...

I was dating a guy who insisted of doing it for me.. After one month... he told me he is going to teach me how to do it - so when he is out of town - I can cut mine and his..... so I broke up with him...

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 4/27/17 10:38 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I think the only reason my father had me was to mow the lawn in summer and shovel the driveway in winter.

6'3" tall, male.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/27/17 10:51 am

i figure out that it is cheaper for me to hire someone than to raise a kid.. so I did not have any.. and withe hired help - if they don't do a good job - you find someone new...

Most Active