I don't know how to be skinny

Ashley in Belgium
on 4/27/17 5:27 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

For me, addressing the issue of my 'fear to be thin' was a key factor in my weight loss journey. I doubt I would be able to handle all the changes and challenges becoming thin has brought into my life without having spent the effort to deal with this issue in therapy.

Before my first WLS, I was afraid to be thin, and that fear was part of the reason I regained all I lost. I needed to be in the comfort zone of my obese shell. After my revision, I was determined to be thin and to enjoy it. To not let fear determine my future. Therapy, my friends here on OH, my family, my surgeon's clinic, etc. were critical to my ability to stay focused and determined.

Find a good therapist with eating disorder experience; add that to your personal list of tools to help you through the life changing experience of losing weight. Please don't let fear of the unknown rule your decisions. You will be different, you will change, but that doesn't have to be a negative :)

Stick around, read, lurk, post, engage, seek advice and offer support here. You are worth it! Good luck on May 1st!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/17 5:44 pm
VSG on 05/01/17

Thank you, it is scary but I'm ready to do this. Im excited for the change I just was worried about losing myself or honestly just fearing the unknown. I'm ready for all the new things that will come with the weight loss.

NYMom222
on 4/30/17 5:21 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I have been overweight/obese since I am 5 years old. had my surgery 2 days before my 56th birthday....

It is an interesting journey. People react differently to you...I haven't gotten hit on in any kind of aggressive way.... but it is important to hash out feelings as someone said, and having a therapist can't hurt if you are worried about it.

I have found staying closely connected to this place has helped tremendously...being able to talk to people who understand what I am going through really helps.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 4/30/17 8:20 pm

Not everyone moves into bars and puts getting laid at the top of the priority list. It may be that your friend, now having opportunities, is proving to herself that she can get laid easily and often. If so, it's about her self-image long before surgery.

Yes, you may change in some ways, but "change" isn't necessarily loaded with negative aspects. However you may change will be in your court. Know thyself.

Whether people think you'll have changed for the negative is irrelevant, i.e., in their court. Then, too, if they think you've changed to being warmer, livelier, more confident and other stuff like that, it's all yours. Milk it.

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/17 12:22 pm
VSG on 05/01/17

Soooo I did it !

I had surgery Monday(5/1/17) at 8, everything went great. Pretty much all Monday I slept (pain meds make me k.o) my family came and seen me. I wasn't much company. I got up and walked around a few times Monday but I was just so exhausted they really didn't push me. Yesterday I slept most of the day too I got discharged from the hospital around 5. My nurse was really nice and congratulated me on the start of my new life. My doctors PA came in and let me know that my surgery went so well I didn't have to do the air test they were able to complete it in the or. My doctor came in too and told me that everything went well no hernia like they had thought and my liver was just a little fatty nothing to be concerned about.

I live by myself which it think is an advantage because I can't be lazy. Like I have to get up and move around and do things for myself. I haven't had anything substantial to drink yet just been water I'm a little nervous to test my stomach out. Today the only real pain I'm having is gas pain. I've been releasing a lot I can't wait for it to pass. I did throw up today too.. I don't know why it just came out like there was no forewarning just was all over me and my blanket ð??". Luckily I can shower just not soak my incisions.

My incisions look great I feel and the glue gives them a purple tint which makes them look even prettier. I'm getting super tired as I'm writing this because I've been keeping up on my pain meds. My next appointment with my surgeon is the 11th. I'm excited about what's to come.

Most Active