Newbie, Where do I start?

oneatatime
on 4/24/17 6:26 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

It's true... it doesn't help when someone says "not to hurt your feelings". The reality is that the poster didn't say it to hurt your feelings. Statistically, you and I are SMO. :(

It crushes me every time I think of myself that way. Or when someone makes reference to it, professionally, politely, or rudely.

We all get it. The poster too.

I think though, her point was that it's hard for someone to listen to, in this case, nutrition advice from someone who doesn't follow or appear to follow their own advice. No different from any other advice someone could give, like a boss who always comes in late has no right to discipline an employee for being late.

I understand why you'd want to be a dietitian. My sister became a dietitian for the same reasons!! She went into university about 180 lbs. She now maintains about 117 lbs. She works at it every day. Nutrition is her life.

Keep looking for your answers. Trust yourself. Get counselling. Never give up. And always believe you can.

i_have_a_kveschun
on 4/24/17 8:28 pm

I will graduate with a degree in a completely different field. I will only study nutrition for myself, and if asked would help others like me to not make the same mistakes I did. I know otherwise that was not my future career... Just a hobby on the side, I am really interested in nutrition and how our body uses food to live, also the psychology behind it all... I was only pointing out that I do know a lot of things about nutrition and food, it's hard not to know about the thing that I struggle with. I guess I know exactly how to do it, but I just lack the push to do it, the motivation, advice...

I do agree about what you feel, I have the same feelings...

Thanks

i_have_a_kveschun
on 4/24/17 8:30 pm

Dietitian or nutritionist that will not be something that I pursue as a career, I will only have the qualifications for them.

Gwen M.
on 4/25/17 5:46 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This is pretty much the reason my first degree is Exercise and Sport Science. Learning/doing these things for myself made me decide I could get a degree in it and help other people down the road. :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

diane S.
on 4/29/17 11:19 am

You are young so I don't blame you for not rushing into surgery. I was 57 when I finally realized I was not going to be able to lose weight and keep it off by traditional dieting.

Meanwhile read everything you can on nutrition and weight loss. Studies show that low carb dieters do better than low fat or just total low calorie.

If you are a binge eater, there is a new drug called vyvanase which you might research.

Meanwhile, track your food and exercise and then start trying to cut back on unnecessary foods like excess carbs, sugar, soda or what ever you can. Go to weigh****chers or TOPS for support. Give yourself some time. You might come around to wls but also other science may develop over the next years. All the best. Hope you can find a way to not spend your youth with excess weight but at the same time don't let it stand in your way of having a good life. GL Diane S

ps. also read the lapsf.com web site for lots of good info.

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active