Newbie, Where do I start?

oneatatime
on 4/23/17 7:24 pm, edited 4/23/17 12:24 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

I had a sense you were Canadian. You spell dietitian the Canadian way!!

I'm from Ontario as well. In fact, there is a forum just for Ontario folks on OH you might find really helpful. We have the Bariatric Regristry, and going through WLS is a specific process here. Very different than in the USA.

You will get amazing info on the Ontario forum. I'd be happy to detail it out for you there, and sure people with more experience than me would chime in with even better support.

Come there. Ask how it works in Ontario. Introduce yourself. Tell the group your fears. You'll find lots of support I'm sure!

i_have_a_kveschun
on 4/24/17 7:07 am

Thank you, I will go to the Ontario forum. I know how the system works, I've done it twice now... Just didn't get the surgeries, the second time I was almost ready to get a surgery date, but I know myself and I could say that I would work on it, i just didn't have the will power. I guess I backed out also because I saw my parents were afraid of me going under a "knife"(laparoscopic). And I didn't want to do it to them. And as much as I told myself that I was ready, I wasn't. With all the stuff that is going on in my life I know that I would not give the post op care for myself that I would have needed.

hollykim
on 4/23/17 2:33 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 23, 2017 at 3:00 AM Pacific Time, i_have_a_kveschun wrote:

I've considered surgery, but come to the conclusion that it was not for me. about 375 lb, I am 20, tried everything. spiraling out of control, no outside support, can't find outside support, it is inaccessible to me. came here by recommendation, i am lost, don't know where to start, my weight is affecting my health, and i need to get a hold of myself and start losing weight. i am slightly addicted, but not enough to be considered an addict by the doctors. tried therapy, but none of the ones i was recommended even knew anything about nutrition, i've done my research, and i will be a dietitian in the future. i eat healthy, but enormous portions, please give me some advice... where do i start.

surgery is really the only thing that works.

Beam me up Scottie
on 4/23/17 8:11 pm
Research. Look at your options. Get some psychological counseling.

No one gets to be SMO without having some issues with food. I typically used food as my "drug" of choice...I'm a stress eater, and still am. You need to think about that as you move forward.

This is use an opinion (MY OPINION). I would never recommend anyone have a surgery that includes Malabsorbtion at 20. I can only speak from my own experience, but I was not financially stable enough at 20 to buy all the vitamins I need. I spend between 50 and 100 dollars a month on supplements. That would have been impossible when I was in my 20s.

Scott
i_have_a_kveschun
on 4/24/17 6:49 am

Yes that is one of the reasons why I didn't, I am too young, I do need counseling and I'm looking for one right now. Thank you for the reassuring words.

i_have_a_kveschun
on 4/24/17 6:53 am

P.S. what do you mean by SMO?

Thanks

MarinaGirl
on 4/24/17 9:47 am

SMO = Super Morbidly Obese

Beam me up Scottie
on 4/24/17 6:32 pm
SMO: Super morbidly obese. BMI over 50.

I wish I would have had WLS when I was in my 20s. I think if I had the VSG at 20 (when I wasn't so out of control), I may never have needed a more "drastic" WLS like the DS.

Scott
AggieMae
on 4/23/17 9:03 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I have been losing and regaining weight my entire adult life. I've lost over 100 pounds 7 times! The only thing I regret is not having WLS sooner.

Please don't discount it on it of hand.

You are studying to be a dietitian? Not to hurt your feelings, but would you take nutrition advice from someone who is morbidity obese?

i_have_a_kveschun
on 4/24/17 6:52 am

WLS, may be right for you, but it's not for everyone.... I'm glad that you have found something that helped you.

Also, just because you say "not to hurt your feelings..." Doesn't mean that it won't...

Most Active