Newbie, Where do I start?

i_have_a_kveschun
on 4/22/17 8:00 pm

I've considered surgery, but come to the conclusion that it was not for me. about 375 lb, I am 20, tried everything. spiraling out of control, no outside support, can't find outside support, it is inaccessible to me. came here by recommendation, i am lost, don't know where to start, my weight is affecting my health, and i need to get a hold of myself and start losing weight. i am slightly addicted, but not enough to be considered an addict by the doctors. tried therapy, but none of the ones i was recommended even knew anything about nutrition, i've done my research, and i will be a dietitian in the future. i eat healthy, but enormous portions, please give me some advice... where do i start.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/22/17 10:30 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

This forum is primarily dedicated to folks who've had (or are seeking) weight loss surgery. You might want to try the non-surgical subforum:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/non_postops/

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

i_have_a_kveschun
on 4/24/17 6:55 am

Thanks, I tried to follow the link but it didn't work,

I really love the cat gif ð?'?

Gwen M.
on 4/23/17 6:24 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Why have you decided that surgery isn't for you?

Track everything you put into your mouth using something like MyFitnessPal and a kitchen scale. This includes liquids. From there, work on reducing your calories every week by 100/day. So if you're eating 2000 calories a day now, go to 1900 for a week. Then 1800 for a week, et****il you are consistently losing a little weight each week.

Prioritize protein and calorie free liquid, avoid refined and processed carbs, move as much as you can.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Mary Gee
on 4/23/17 6:36 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Most of us who have had surgery did so because we tried dieting for years, losing weight, then regaining it, over and over. You have to decide if you're going to continue the diet route, or have surgery...which is a tool that will help you tremendously. My suggestion is continue to read the various boards here to get more information regarding the pros and cons of surgery. Also, click on the "Resources" tab at the top of the page to learn more about the various types of surgery.

If you decide to have surgery, the first thing you have to do in confirm insurance coverage; otherwise you would be self-pay (many people who self-pay go to Mexico for surgery). If you do have the coverage, check your insurer's requirements...many make you under a six-month medically supervised diet. Most bariatric programs require you to attend an orientation session where they will discuss the various surgeries and set forth their program's requirements.

WLS is a big step...I wish I had it done years ago. It changed my life for the better and I would do it again in a second.

Best of luck to you.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

i_have_a_kveschun
on 4/24/17 6:57 am

Thank you.

oneatatime
on 4/23/17 9:43 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Hey there. First of all, welcome. I hear the frustration of looking for support and not finding it. Being overweight is a very lonely journey, and one that people in our lives can truly understand. We're glad you're here!

I've had a lifelong battle with my weight and at 45, finally feel ready to do WLS. I'm still scared as anything. When I first talked to my doc about it, he said he has referred 3 other patients, one of them being a 20 year old girl. She had VSG a few months ago and is doing super well!!! Part of me think "wow I wish I would have done it at 20" but I know I would not have been ready.

You have to know yourself. The surgery is the smallest aspect of this journey. It sounds like you want to make the lifestyle changes (you mentioned becoming a dietitian), and the surgery is really a tool to help give us control to implement the decisions we have already made. It may be a good option for you.

We are here if you have questions. So is your doctor. And you can always go to an orientation session at a bariatric centre before you decide. There are tons of options.

The most important to remember is that there are options and you're in control and you're not alone.

i_have_a_kveschun
on 4/23/17 10:13 am

Thank you so much for the helpful message!

oneatatime
on 4/23/17 9:44 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Also, where are you located? Canada? USA? :)

i_have_a_kveschun
on 4/23/17 10:11 am

Canada, Ontario.

Most Active