Stomaphyx

Ringo13
on 4/22/17 7:50 am

Hi all, i have just joined your site and have really enjoyed reading all your posts and experiences, really informative.

I am in the UK and am researching the stomaphyx procedure. It is really new over here and not an awful lot of data to go on, so would be interested to receive any advice or help with deciding whether to go through the procedure, had any gastric bypass 10 years ago, but am currently 300lbs again!! Very depressed,!

Hippie Lady
on 4/22/17 8:29 am - Warren, OH

It has been done in the U.S. for at least ten years. People were excited about it when it was introduced.

I have never seen any stories of anyone who was successful with losing weight after stomaphyx. They do lose about 20 pounds from the pre-op diet and then the liquid diet after surgery. After that we never hear from them again.

I consider it a great procedure for surgeons who want to make more money.

You can research on the Revision forum on this site and see if you can find a success story. Ask the surgeon to speak to his patients who have been successful with losing weight after the procedure.

Sadly, the only way to lose the weight again at 10 years out is by limiting calories and moving more. Probably 50% of RNY patients have regained all of their lost weight by ten years out. The surgery is not magic and will not keep weight off. Only eating less than you burn will do that.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Ringo13
on 4/22/17 8:50 am

Thanks for your reply. Yes i think you are right, glad i found out now before i had it done, will have a good read on the forum, thanks again.

Gina 22 years out
on 4/23/17 6:01 am - Burleson, TX

Ringo, I know 2 people, IRL, who had the Stomaphyx, and 2 who had the ROSE. NONE were happy, with the results. As White Dove said, it comes down, to getting back to what we eat, etc...

I am 15 years post RNY, and absolutely understand your regain pain!!! I have been under goal, for several years now, after messing around with significant regain...You can lose this!!! We are here for you !!!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

MyBariatricLife
on 4/30/17 12:19 pm

Most surgeons have stopped doing this procedure in the US because it was considered not to work. I had it done and it was successful at first. I think that I lost 30 pounds. But it was not lasting. And I have had problems with belching ever since (no idea the connection here).

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Most Active