Skin removal...will Medicaid cover surgery?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/19/17 8:58 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am sorry in advance that this may sound harsh, but frankly, I feel it needs to be said:

You state that you have multiple health issues that include diabetes, sleep apnea, hypothyroid, cardiomyopathy, degenerative disc disease , epilepsy and pcp and a need back surgery -- but your main concern is excess skin?

Seriously?

I am so sad that this is where your focus is at, because quite honestly, it doesn't matter if you will look like a Shar Pei dog because if you don't get these health issues under control you will be dead.

Everyone looks smoother laying flat on their back, I suppose -- but it sounds to me, like you have a lot of life left in you --

Please, please, please consider getting some mental health counseling to address why you feel the way you do about yourself. I am sure you are lovely just as you are -- and will be even lovelier --- loose skin and all --- when you are as healthy as possible.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

BlueCanary
on 4/19/17 7:46 pm

COSIGN! 100%! You definitely aren't going to look any better dead than a little flabby... get into therapy- no shame in any of it. Find a councilor who specializes in weight issues if you can. There are also support groups that can help keep your spirits up when you feel down. You can do this!

BlueCanary

Ht 5'4"

Current weight 315

BMI 54.1

Hoping for surgery in 2018

Oxford Comma Hag
on 4/19/17 9:23 am

Your comorbidities can kill you; excess skin cannot.

I had surgery so that I didn't die of obesity-related disease. I didn't look like a young Gina Lollabrigida before and didn't expect to after.

I wonder if you are transferring fear or anxiety about surgery itself to excess skin. As Kat said, talk with a mental health professional about this.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Gina 22 years out
on 4/19/17 6:01 pm - Burleson, TX

whispering to Kate...you may need to use a younger example...nobody besides you, me and my dead PawPaw will know who Gina Lollabrigida was...PawPaw was obsessed with her...thus his oldest granddaughter's name :)

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/19/17 7:37 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

That's what google is for. HAHAHAHA.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Grim_Traveller
on 4/20/17 3:47 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I have that same outfit.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/20/17 3:51 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

NYMom222
on 4/20/17 6:49 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Hahahahaha... My Mom when I got dramatic about something would call me Gina Lollabrigida...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

CJ On Orcas
on 4/19/17 7:30 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

I had a BMI of 44. Have lost 85 pounds so far and I do have some loose skin but it is soooo much better than the fat. I am so much healthier. I had diabetes, high blood pressure, sciatica, degenerative disc disease, and osteoarthritis. I still have the arthritis and still take some blood pressur meds but my diabetes is gone, my sciatica is gone, I do not have any signs of the disc disease, and I can stand for hours without debilitating pain in my knees. I still cannot walk fast but I can walk so much further. I still hope to lose another 30 pounds... and expect that I will continue to feel better as I get thinner.

I encourage you to continue. A little bit of loose skin is a small price to pay in my humble opinion. I felt very ugly before my WLS surgery. I am almost 60... but I feel so beautiful right now ;)

CC C.
on 4/19/17 8:21 pm

If you're going to focus on appearance (I get that's part of this for many of us!), with the excess weight everyone can see you are fat no matter how you dress yourself. With excess skin, only you and people who get to see to see you naked know it's there. It's a much smaller issue in my opinion.

Most Active