Eating out is such a pain!

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/17 11:23 am
VSG on 01/12/17

My biggest problem is I am so shy that asking for what seems like special treatment (silly, I know) is impossible. I am working on that though!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/18/17 11:24 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Totally understandable. But having worked as a waitress, it's honestly not a big deal-- people make special requests all the time! And the only time it's a problem is when somebody is a jerk about it, which I know you wouldn't be :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Knitter215
on 4/18/17 1:11 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

Last night met my hubby and his running club at a local tavern for dinner after they ran. (They are "beer runners"). I've been there before, they are great folks. I ordered a bacon blue cheese burger, medium rare, with no bun and no fries. They gave me a small side salad with dressing on the side. I ate my burger with a fork and knife. (My kids ate their burgers on buns.) I'm now 8 months out, so I was able to eat the whole 6 ounce burger.

We eat out alot. I take a lot of food home. Let the wait staff bring you water. It doesn't hurt to have it on the table. I just always re-assure them that the food is fine (when I only eat about 1/4 of an entree) and that I just have a very small appetite. Then I ask for a box. Sometimes, I 'll ask for the box right away and pack up half of the entree immediately.

I also order appetizers as my entree pretty frequently. I also let them put the sides on the plate and I don't eat the potato - I'll usually munch a bite or two of the veg.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Highfunctioningfatman
on 4/18/17 1:50 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

My only concern eating out is with sauces that are used. Some are liquid sugar and carbs! Otherwise I find it easy to find something appropriate but harder to find something that I like as well.

Lipsticklady
on 4/19/17 5:40 am
VSG on 05/14/13

I am four years out, have tremendous restriction and love eating out. I always go for a protein app or soup. I see that the add-ons have been mentioned and I almost always go that route it it's available. My kids loves salads, but my oldest is a vegetarian, so we ask for her meat on the side and that's my meal.

I've not been to RL ever but looking at their menu, I'd order grilled shrimp salad and a cup of soup, shrimp and wood grilled chicken no rice, they appear to have an entire "lighter" menu, too. In the apps, I would order a shrimp ****tail, those yummy looking seafood stuffed mushrooms or the mussels. (I ALWAYS order mussels if I can.)

You will get there. It does get easier.

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

Steph Meat Hag
on 4/21/17 9:22 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

So learn to not give one ounce of thought to people looking at your or servers second guessing you. I order whatever sounds good and I either take the left overs or I don't depending on what it is. Some servers ask me if I didn't like it? At first, I was like... blah blah I did but I'm just not that hungry. But I'm more bitter now LOL I tell them that the server size was just too large. It's true for me or a person with a normal stomach too, most serving sizes are way too big and no one needs to eat that much. So if you're up to it tell them the serving size was just too big. You don't need to tell them why and on that note I'd never tell them anything about WLS either. It's a server at a restaurant they don't need that info and TBH they don't care. All they need to know is you arn't mad about your food and you either do or do not want a doggie bag.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Steph Meat Hag
on 4/21/17 9:24 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Oh and as time goes by you will be able to eat more and it won't look like you didn't eat a thing. So in the future your RL lunch won't be 10 meals :-)

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Valerie G.
on 4/22/17 2:42 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

For my first six months, I would share a plate with my husband (or whoever). They would add on another protein (like a few shrimp with a steak), and I would order soup or a side dish and that's all I needed.

After that, I asked for half-portions, explaining that I had a tiny appetite but a great appreciation for good food. More times than not, most places were happy to accommodate my requests. (I never once showed anyone a surgery card). When I traveled for work, I would order off of the room service menu, but make up my own dinner by what they had in the kitchen and they figured out a way to make it happen for me.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active