Which surgery did you have and why?

LynneT
on 4/17/17 2:03 am
Revision on 03/21/17

I had a VSG in June 2013, because I didn't want malabsorption. However, I wasn't aware that my history of GERD made it a bad choice. I went to Mexico and didn't have the benefit of great pre-op. Paying out of pocket, there was also a bit of cost savings with VSG.

I was happy with my weight loss and reached goal and stayed there.

In June 2016 I had surgery to fix a hiatal hernia and try to fix the GERD, hernia worked, GERD didn't. In March 2017 my VSG was revised to RNY for the GERD and a host of other late complications. Insurance paid for the revision.

oneatatime
on 4/17/17 5:20 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Oh wow. Sorry you had to undergo a series of surgeries. Thanks for the information. Hopefully your health is on track now!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/17/17 3:18 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I had VSG because previously I had considered the Lapband and did a fair amount of research. The lapband scared me because I didn't want something foreign in my body and have to deal with "fills" on an on-going basis. RNY scared me because of the intestinal changes and higher potential for complications. VSG seemed just right from a risk/reward/functionality standpoint. I previously had GERD btw, but a hiatal hernia was repaired at the time of surgery and so far I haven't had a return.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

oneatatime
on 4/17/17 5:23 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Oh wow. You're the first person with a history of GERD who I've met to have GSV successfully. I want it for the same reasons (and a couple more). Hoping I'm a candidate too! Thx.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/17/17 7:10 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I'm only one year out, so no guarantee, but the surgeon felt it was caused by the hernia so if the hernia doesn't recur hopefully it will stay away.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

ILoveFlowers
on 4/17/17 11:58 am

I had the duodenal switch because of the high success rate. 85% of people who have the duodenal switch maintain their weight loss 10 years after the surgery. I had a cousin who had the RNY and she has regained 100 of the 150 pounds she lost. My aunt had the sleeve and never made it to goal weight. She now weighs more than she did before surgery. Of course, that doesn't mean that you can't fail with the DS. If your head isn't in the right place, no weight loss surgery will fix you. You still have to work on you.

LeslieWesleysyxx
on 4/17/17 2:05 pm
Revision on 03/14/18

I choose the sleeve because honestly the RNY scared me a bit with the dumping and malabsorption. My acid reflux was very mild prior to the sleeve. As long as I took an acid reflux med every other day I was good. About 5 months out from sleeve surgery my acid reflux got worse. I was warned that it was a 50/50 chance of it getting worse with the sleeve, but I thought since mine was so mild I would ok. I am paying for that decision now. Im taking 2 Prevacid a day and carafate to help coat the esophagus until my EGD next week. I'm now 7 months out and possibly already looking at revision to RNY because of it. I never realized acid reflux could cause so much esophageal swelling and difficulty swallowing until now. If you have even the slightest bit of Gerd, I would really consider the RNY so you can potentially avoid a revision.

oneatatime
on 4/17/17 8:10 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Thanks Leslie. I'm sorry you're having so many problems and I hope the revision is just what you need to fix it. Feel better quickly.

Valerie G.
on 4/17/17 4:13 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

When I had surgery more than 12 years ago, my choices were RNY, LapBand or Duodenal Switch. The VSG wasn't being done as a stand-alone procedure yet, but it IS part of my DS. I chose the DS because of it's long-term statistics of sustained weight loss as well as how I could enjoy more normal types of foods (I ain't gonna lie - after a lifetime of dieting with little results, I was done with that).

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Gin820
on 4/18/17 6:23 am

I have the occasional heartburn and acid reflux. I also have poorly controlled type 2 diabetes. Because of those things, I think I should go with the RNY. I have researched a lot and don't want to have to deal with a revision later. I also know that while many people have successfully lost their weight with VSG, I am worried it won't work for me. And since I have such a sweet tooth, I think the fear of dumping will keep me straight.

However, though I fully intend to follow the diet to a T and take all my supplements, I am really worried about vitamin deficiencies later on. The malabsorption is welcome, but fear invoking as well.

I just want to be done with acid reflux, be cured of my diabetes, lose all my weight, maintain forever, and have no complications ever! Is that too much to ask? LOL

I am still in the 6 month supervised weight loss plan for now and have yet to talk with the actual surgeon, but these are my thoughts right now.

Most Active