Pre op testing? Stupid question

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/17 3:47 pm, edited 4/13/17 3:48 pm
RNY on 05/05/07

I go for pre op testing tomorrow and forgot to ask if I fast or not. I don't want to go in and they say sorry can't do it you had water. I called the office but they were closed already. I figure I'll fast anyway but they are running a ton of tests and don't want to mess it up, just in case I wasn't supposed to. Ugh, I wish I remembered 2 hours ago to call.

Hippie Lady
on 4/13/17 4:00 pm - Warren, OH

It is better to fast and find out it was not necessary than to not fast and get sent back home.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

CC C.
on 4/13/17 7:00 pm

What kind of pre-op testing? I had an upper gi and not only could I have no water, I wasn't allowed to brush my teeth that morning. Ew. Blood testing, I fasted, but could have water. EKG, nothing special required.

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/17 7:21 pm
RNY on 05/05/07
  • It's the testing before I'll be going in for surgery. They will be doing blood work, ekg. Which I had both already but the hospital needs it before they admit you idk. The first time I had blood work it was at my pcp and I didn't fast. when I went in for my upper gi I was super dehydrated I fasted too long and they couldn't find my veins. She left all kinds of bruises on me and this was the anesthesiologist. I just took a big glass of water chugged it now and won't drink again to be safe.
Cathy H.
on 4/13/17 10:24 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Yes, I'd definitely fast. Nothing after midnight if you have an early morning appointment (8am). Essentially it needs to be 8 hours with nothing to eat or drink. If you have a late morning or afternoon appointment, just make sure you stop everything 8 hours before. And best of luck!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

skinny_gigi
on 4/15/17 8:01 pm

As i recall i didn't fast for that one...actually I didn't even know i was doing blood work that day...like everyone said better safe than sorry so i would fast...but I know i didn't and no one asked...

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 4/17/17 3:53 pm

Fast. Some blood tests require it, others don't, so be safe.

Make it a habit to ask in advance in the future. No matter how many times I repeat the same blood work for various health matters, there are some I'll never remember with regard to fasting. I ask every time.

Most Active