HELP! Can't stop eatting!

laceydore
on 4/10/17 10:25 am
Mini Gastric Bypass on 03/15/10

I had gastric bypass about 5 years ago, and lost over 100lbs. The lowest i got was 110lbs, which was only because my stoma was too small and food wasn't able to get down properly. Then I was at 116lbslbs for about a year. Then I got to be 126lbs for the following 2 years, and I was my happiest there, but after having my gallbladder removed, i quickly gained 20lbs. I was quiet depressed for awhile, then, once I got used to the fact that that was about where I would stay, i got ok, but I suddenly gained 10 more pounds, so I tried really hard, and lost those 10lbs, and I was so proud! But recently I can't stop eating! I always want to eat, and if i don't, it's only because I ate too much to begin with! So, I've gained back those 10lbs and 3 more to bat. I'm SO depressed, I feel worthless. I feel completely out of control. All I crave is carbs, and i don't know how to stop. Please, any suggestions would help me at this point. I'm stuck in this rut, and I'm terrified of gaining anymore. I know being depressed doesn't help. also, i suffer from degenerative disc disease and fibromyalgia, so i live in severe pain daily, so it's extreemly hard to excersize, so I don't know how to change that either. Any thoughts would help. Thanks for reading this.

Djmohr
on 4/10/17 10:36 am
RNY on 09/29/14

Hi! Sorry to hear you are struggling. I am nearly 3 years post op and my biggest fear is gaining my weight back. In the last year I have had two rounds of major plastics and I difinitely would freak if I gained my weight back. That being said, each time I have had surgery I end up being a bottomless pit that cannot be satisfied. I think it has a lot to do with healing. But in both instances I gained 10lbs which scared the crap out of me.

So I have had to learn to go back to the basics. 64 oz of water a day, 70 grams of good dense protein, limit snacking or do away with it altogether. Measure my food so I am not overeating. Get moving......no drink with my meals. Stay away from anything that is not 0 calorie drinks (dont drink your calories)

The good news is your tool is still there. You just need to reset your brain and start working the process again. It should make a lot of difference for you quickly.

Start now...dont wait. you are not a failure, you simply strayed for a while I am guessing. So leverage your tool.

Best of luck to you!

laceydore
on 4/10/17 10:58 am

Thank you for your response. after my writing my issue, I came to realize that one major issue is that I am not eating nearly enough protien. i just don't know how to get it all in, or even what is all good protein.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/10/17 11:15 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Look for lean, dense protein. Good sources include:

• Chicken
  • Beef
  • Pork
  • Fish
  • Shrimp
  • Cheese
  • Tofu

I'll buy frozen chicken breasts and use one piece for several meals. Cut it up, sautee it on the stove, and put some sort of sauce on it, and it's an instant meal!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/10/17 11:13 am, edited 4/10/17 4:16 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Are you working with a therapist or psychiatrist for your depression? I know that when my mental health is poor (I have bipolar and OCD) it's more difficult for me to focus on working on my weight. Perhaps getting your depression under control would be a good first step?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

laceydore
on 4/10/17 5:00 pm

Yes, i have bi-polar and severe anxiety disorder. Thanks for sharing.

AggieMae
on 4/10/17 11:25 am
VSG on 10/25/16

I find portioning out my meals for the whole day helps. I get four meals a day. I eat them very slowly.

Also, breaking down my goal to one week at a time and eating one thing that needs lots of chewing, like an oz cashews or jerky or 2 oz of unscheduled pistachios, at two meals.

Recently I cut out chewable vitamins. Now I save the carbs for real food.

ladygodiva1228
on 4/10/17 12:02 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Get back to tracking and measuring out your food. If you need more protein check out 5 day meat menu full of protein.

You are going to have to carb detox and that is going to suck I'm being honest. But you can do it just grin and bare it oh and drink a ton of water it does help.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Kathy S.
on 4/10/17 1:41 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

You have already taken the hardest step by saying enough is enough and now I want to get back on track. Note why you are eating more and make change**** the water! It's your best friend for hurting and needed to work out. Here are some steps I hope will help you. They helped me...

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery? How many meetings, classes and such did we attend? We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success. And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods. Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling. This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life. Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating. It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband. It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food. Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker. Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself. Make them realistic and small. Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea? I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass. So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer. I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving. If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back. So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/10/17 7:07 pm

Hugs... It is though. Last few weeks I ate way too many carbs. I am still at good for me weight, but my gut hates too many carbs- sugar, and I hate how "hungry" carbs make me feel. Almost all carbs turn to sugar in our body.

So fruits, starches, complex carbs = sugar.

Sugar is more addictive that cocaine.

The only way to break the cravings and addiction is to avoid carbs. At least for me.

This week is about going back to basics.

I made sure I have a lot of ready to eat food, like chicken, fish, eggs, beef, pork. Plus non starchy veggies - my body tolerates cucumbers, natural (no sugar added-NSA) pickles, celery, avocado, and some other low carbs veggies.

I have a lot of food and I allow myself to eat as much as my pouch can handle (eating slowly, not drinking while eating) . Then 2 hours later - eat some more, if I need to.

After 2 days of that - my body still wants carbs - but the worse cravings are gone.

Tomorrow my appetite should be much less than today.

When I really want some "crunch" - either pork rinds with some guacamole, or celery with some natural (NSA) nut butter. Not a lot, just enough to help with the taste.

When decarbing - I don't limit proteins or fats for a first few days. Fat keeps my body "happy" . I limit carbs to no more than 5- 10gr per meal, making sure I don't eat more than 40gr of carbs per day. Some people need to do less than 40. But for me - up to 40 ,- as long as this is from non starchy veggies, or some nuts works? fine.

Diet soda - I get wicked cravings when I drink that, so I do avoid it.

I drink black coffee, tea, green tea, and water. I may add some unsweetened coconut or almond milk to my afternoon coffee...

Typically it takes me a week to reset my carbs cravings. Then I can be more careful how much I eat per day, to either maintain or lose weight.

To lose weight - on average I chose 1000 Cal per day, with 80-100 gr of protein, (up to 400 calories) no more than 40 gr of carbs (160 calories) and the rest of calories from fat - 440 calories.

My typical meal would be 25 gr of protein, 12 gr of fat, 8-10 gr of carbs. (but very little sugar) . I count all carbs. Not net carbs. (Btw- for my body - dairy sugar is sugar...So I avoid that)

Plus I make sure I get enough water...100-120 oz of liquid a day.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active