Help, please!

mine29112
on 4/9/17 7:37 am

I had my surgery in 2006. I was doing so well for 9 years. I ended up having a total hysterectomy in 2015 and I've put on almost 35 pounds.

I've also had hernia type balls that pop out in my upper abs that are so painful. The doctors and surgeons don't see anything on scans so they refuse to look deeper. I literally have to push these back in so I can move, they are like Charley horses.

I need help but no one will help me!

califsleevin
on 4/9/17 8:02 am - CA

Just like our cars that don't act up when we take them to the mechanic, our bodies often do the same when we visit the doctor; hernias don't always show up on ultrasound and other images if they aren't active at the time of the scan. Next time one pops out, try to take a picture of it for your doc. I have had the same thing with a transient inquinal hernia (the turn your head and cough type for us guys...) which doesn't show in the doctor's office, but I show him one of my *****selfies of it and ask if that looks like a hernia and "yep, that's a hernia..."

On your regain problem, this type of thing can happen when life's little (and big) stresse**** but the good thing is that your WLS still works - go back to the basics of a simpler meat and veg type of diet that gives you the essential nutrition with the lower calorie load needed to get the weight back off. I have seen many in our support group over the years who come back from 30 lb or so of regain without major effort. Give a few months of watching what you eat fairly closely and it will come off again; no need for these "pouch test" and other short term fad diets.

Good luck on getting these things resolved...

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

mine29112
on 4/9/17 8:09 am

the problem is when I get these things that pop out, I can feel them but they don't appear on the surface. The doctors tell me to come in when it happens but I can't move until I get it back in. Literally it doubles me and I can't stand up straight or get up from a sitting position.

The stresses from the hysterectomy were terrible, I feared my WLS had been a total bust. I'll be hitting the gym tomorrow after a year and lean protein and fruit and veg drinks.

Thank you

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/9/17 8:51 am

Fruits and veggies drinks are best way for me to gain weight. And the worst when you try to stop gaining or lose the regain. You may want to reconsider.

Dense proteins, good fats (avocado, olives, bacon, butter, eggs) and non starchy veggies are great for feeling ful and losing weight for me.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mine29112
on 4/9/17 9:34 am

Omg, this could be the weight gain I've gained. Hubby night me a nutribullet and I've been drinking fruit and veg shakes every day for over a month. Crap! I'm doing this to myself. I'm going to cry!

Travelher
on 4/9/17 12:55 pm
Revision on 10/04/16

Fruit on its own is fine. But my advice is never drink your food. You end up consuming way more than you otherwise would.

None of us got fat eating an apple a day. Drinking 10... that could do it.

Band-RNY revision age 50 5'4" HW 260 SW: 244 (bf healthy range 23-35%) bf 23.7% (at 137lbs) cw range 135-138.lbl with butt lift and mastoplexy March 23, 2018...2.5lbs removed.

Pre-op-16lbs (size 18/20...244) M1-16lbs (size 18...228) M2-15.6lbs (size 16/18...212.4) M3-10lbs (size 16..202.4) M4-11.4lbs (size 14...191) M5-10.8lbs (size 12...180.2) M6-8.4 (size 8/10...171.8) M7-6.4 (size 8...165.4 lbs) M8-11.6 (size 6...153.8) M9-5.6 (size 4/6...148.2) M10-5.8 (size 4....142.4) M11-4 (size 2/4...138.4) Surgiversary -1 (size 2/4...137.4) M13-2.6 (size 2/4...134.8) M14 (size 2/4...134.8) M15 (size 2...135) M16 (size 2...131.4) M17 (size 2...135) M18 (size 2...135) M19 (size 2...138) M20 (size 2...135) M21 (size 2...138)

califsleevin
on 4/9/17 7:54 pm - CA

Indeed, drinking calories is a red flag. My wife makes a fruit smoothie as a means of hiding some of her needed supplements - very nutrient dense (and protein, too, as she adds protein powder to the mix as well) but it is not a weight loss food.

I have run across a bariatric program that advocates more vegetable intense smoothies as a means of getting more nutrition through our limited capacity stomachs - that has some merit as it is naturally a very calorie limited drink and could be worth a try for those so inclined (you almost can't OD on veg like you can with liquid fruit.)

califsleevin
on 4/9/17 8:00 pm - CA

That does make things more difficult.

Can you feel anything (beyond the pain) bulging or out of place when this happens? Are there any Urgent Care clinics nearby that you might be able to get to - anything to get this documented by a medical professional while it's happening. It might be enough, if they are equipped with ultrasound gear, to get there soon after an event so that maybe it can be imaged while it is still open. If such a clinic is handy, possibly stop by before an event happens and talk to them about it and what they may be able to do to catch it. Even after it pops back, there may be something remaining that they can feel.

Hippie Lady
on 4/9/17 9:43 am - Warren, OH

In cold climates, our ancient ancestors lived in the winter on meat only. In the summer they were able to pick fruit. The fruit was a quick way to gain enough fat to help them survive the cold winter.

Now we eat fruit year round and keep our homes warm with fuel. We no longer need to eat fruit to have fat for winter warmth.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

mine29112
on 4/9/17 12:19 pm

Thank you for reminding me of what I knew but filed away. Our busy lifestyles tend to dismiss even the smallest and simplest facts.

Reminders to get me back on track are greatly appreciated.

Most Active