Problems with oral antibiotic absorption

Mahalo F.
on 4/7/17 7:25 am
  • Good morning everyone

Warning this may be TMI!

I am battling quite a severe urinary tract infection. It has been 14 days & quite honestly I am struggling!

I am currently on my 3rd antibiotic... All 3 are top gun antibiotics and sensitive to the bacteria, but not working.

Has anyone (who is post RNY) had difficulty with the absorption of antibiotics?

I am drinking over 3 litres of water daily... Taking

the cranberry capsules 4X daily... I just started a holistic herb (UVA URSI) that treats UTIs, but still very uncomfortable. My GP is at a loss....

Does anyone have any insight ?

I appreciate your input...

Sandra

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Fredbear
on 4/7/17 7:43 am
VSG on 11/29/16

Does your GP know you're taking all that extra crap, which may be interfering with the actual real medication?

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/7/17 7:53 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Uva ursi, aka bearberry, can be toxic and damage your liver.

Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it's safe.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

CC C.
on 4/7/17 8:09 am

This is not information gained from experience, but from Googling so take it with a grain of salt. But I read one RNY person's doctor said not to take the antibiotic close to your vitamins (within 2 hrs) because it'll bind with the calcium, magnesium and iron and make it ineffective. Just a thought. Hope you get relief soon!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/7/17 8:57 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Can confirm with actual medical information: calcium can interfere with the body's ability to absorb antibiotics.

• Quinolones: Calcium can interfere with the body's ability to absorb quinolone antibiotics (such as ciprofloxacin or Cipro; levofloxacin, norfloxacin or Noroxin; and ofloxacin). Take calcium supplements 2 - 4 hours before or after taking quinolone antibiotics
  • Tetracyclines: Calcium can interfere with the body's ability to absorb tetracycline antibiotics (including doxycycline, minocycline, and tetracycline). Take calcium supplements 2 -4 hours before or after taking quinolone antibiotics.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/7/17 12:15 pm

You may have candida-- yeast infection in the bladder. Antibiotics only would make it worse.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

AggieMae
on 4/7/17 11:32 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

You WLS doesn't interfere with antibiotics they are metabolized in the kidneys or later ever. Has your Dr done a culture and sensitive? Three courses of antibiotics seems extreme. I would worry about developing a resistance and yeast.

As others have said, tell your Dr about the other treatments you are using along with the antibiotics and considered cutting out the OTC's. I would continue with the unsweetened cranberry juice because it acidifies your urine, but cranberry drinks, like ocean spray, don't do this.

Ascorbic acid/ vit C tablets will work as well.

AggieMae
on 4/7/17 11:34 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

"Later ever" = liver. My new tablet seems to edit me at will.

rocky513
on 4/9/17 4:11 am - WI

My mom has had multiple UTI's that did not respond to antibiotics. The doctor finally prescribed Monurol (link). It is a one time dose in powder form that you mix with water. The medication stays in the bladder for a few days and kills the bacteria. It is not a systemic antibiotic, but localized. It worked like a charm for her after suffering for months.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active