New to the process and several questions

catwoman7
on 4/4/17 6:38 am
RNY on 06/03/15

re: bringing spouse/loved one/friend to appts - yes, some people do. I often talk to pre-op classes about my experience, and I would say of the 20-30 people in a typical class, three or four of them have a support person with them. I've read about people bringing their support person to consults and other 1:1 appts, too.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Waterfall118
on 4/4/17 8:25 am

I imagine after the initial consult I'll manage most appointments alone. I think it's important especially for the initial appt for matt to understand what to expect! :)

* Nicole *
on 4/4/17 11:14 am

Congrats on making a big decision!

Everyone has be helpful on many things already for you. But as another option do look into the duodeanal switch (DS) also to see if it may be right for you. For some it is for some it isnt. WLS is personal for all. It could possibly mean finding a different dr. But address that once you make a decision on what procedure you want.

Welcome to OH.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

BlueCanary
on 4/4/17 12:26 pm

Hi Sherri,

I read your post and genuinely wondered how I managed to make that post without realizing it. We are in near cookie cutter scenarios! Same height, weight, supportive husband & serious meds! I have a lot of the same concerns you do. I have ZERO advice, because I'm right there with you... but I just wanted to let you know you are not at all alone!

BlueCanary

Ht 5'4"

Current weight 315

BMI 54.1

Hoping for surgery in 2018

Mahalo F.
on 4/4/17 4:45 pm

Hello Sheri and welcome

You have already received a lot of great advice.

I would like to share my experience in hopes that it will put all this in perspective.

I am 52 years old and I am a widow with 3 sons. My husband passed away suddenly and unexpectedly 7 years ago. My sons were 9, 7 & 2 1/2 years old.

I am not sure how I managed to haul myself out of bed every morning. I focused on pulling myself together and I managed to find the strength within to raise them alone.

I have been battling depression since then. Back in 2012 I decided I needed to do something to lose some weight. I went to the Weight Management Clinic here in Ottawa and attended a seminar that gave you options. The gastric bypass scared the hell out of me. I was worried that something may go wrong and I got too caught up in the complications. As a widow I thought, who will raise my sons? I did the 12 week Optifast program and lost 50 lbs. but gained it all back the following year.

I began this journey almost one year ago. I raised the same concerns with my family doctor. She told be that if I continued down this road that perhaps I wouldn't be around in 10 years. I have spent a life time looking after my family and everyone else. Now it is time to take care of myself. I was not feeling the greatest and I was tired of lugging around all this excess weight. I have chronic pain issues and I was hoping this journey will help be become healthier and happier. I had my surgery for the Roux En Y Gastric Bypass January 4th, 2017

I was terrified in the months before my surgery.

Every surgery has it's risks...

I was always worried about the possibility of post-op complications.

ie. gastric leaks, infection, bowel obstruction, vomiting, prolonged hospital stay

It was the only thing that has held me back for years.

I jumped in with both feet and truly believed this is what is best for me.

I tried to be positive and I hoped everything would be okay.

In the six months prior to my RNY, I began preparing for what life would be like after surgery.

I eliminated alcohol, NSAIDS, carbonated drinks, pop, caffeinated everything. I practiced waiting 30 minutes to drink after eating.

The surgery was not as bad as I thought it would be. I went to my son football banquet one week later. I remained positive and followed the rules.

Having my RNY has been life changing... Everything went well with the exception of a bout of constipation (now controlled). I often wish that I had done it back in 2012. I am happier and feel great. While I still remain sad that my husband died, I have found that life truly is better now.

Yes. It is a lot of hard work and commitment. There are days that are not easy. I am 12 weeks out and I am never hungry. I do however experience "head hunger" (desire) for the odd thing here and there. I am happy with my food choices now and Love Love Love all the attention that the weight loss has brought.

In the end the decision is yours to make. This forum both in USA & Canada has been the biggest support system in my life. I have met people from all over North America that have truly made my journey easier!

I must agree with Insert Fitness who said she would have this surgery every month to maintain the success she has had. So would I.

I was 283 lbs & miserable... I am 208 lbs.

No regrets, best decision of my life. I am much healthier and my longevity is endless.

Take care

Sandra.

Mahalo.

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Waterfall118
on 4/4/17 5:32 pm

Thank you for sharing your story. You are doing so great. i can already tell this group will be an amazing support through my journey!!

Sherri surgery scheduled 11/20/17!

"An incredibly SMART, AMAZING, HANDSOME, SILLY KID with AUTISM ROCKS my entire WORLD." I asked my son once what he would tell people to help them know more about Autism. He said, "I would want them to know that even Albert Einstein had autism."

HW: 312

CW: 286.4

Beam me up Scottie
on 4/4/17 8:25 pm
Have you considered a DS? You are SMO. The same questions you asked are the reason why I had the DS-there was no possible way that I could make major food lifestyle changes. I eat a LOT ..and like to eat a lot. Restriction alone would not work for me.

Medication needs will change with surgery. You may find you need more initially because of a "hormone dump" from losing weight rapidly and then less because you weigh less.

I'd recommend getting help around the house for a few weeks (depending on where your child is on the spectrum). WLS can take a lot out of you...and it can take a week or two (in my case 4 to 5) to get your full energy back.

Scott
BETH6536
on 4/4/17 9:38 pm - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 04/19/17

Hi Sherri-

My name is Beth. I am 47 yo, 5'7 and 268 lbs with a BMI of 42. Six years ago I was diagnosed with Kidney Cancer and decided to divorce after 20 years of marriage. I am remarried now 2 years next month.

I am having surgery 2 weeks from tomorrow and am starting my 2 week Premier protein drinks tomorrow.

After losing my Kidney to cancer I developed a lot of medical issues, i.e. high blood pressure and hypertension (kidneys control your BP) and my remaining kidney and liver are under a lot of stress. I have been a 911/Police/Fire/Medical dispatcher for the last 20 years and I can't even begin to tell you the stress I have on a daily basis which has added to my weight issue. I remember times, being so busy, I would be looking around for my sandwich and people would tell me I ate it. I didn't even remember eating it while working and was still hungry!

I, too, am on anti-depressants, hormones, heart meds, slow stomach emptying meds and supplements. I was so worried about my supplements after surgery I got one month of multi-vitamin and Iron patches to wear until I felt I would be able to swallow easier. I'm not worried about my regular meds as they are fairly small and have already been reassured by my doctor that I will have no problem taking meds.

I am also very concerned about my new lifestyle but what has made it easier is 1. coming on here and reading and posting when I can 2. changing my eating habits to protein and vegetables now-cutting out white carbs. I hope to lessen the blow by doing this.

My thinking is that I have worked sooo damn hard for this. I will do what I need to do to reach the finish line!

I BEAT CANCER, I WILL BE DAMNED IF I DIE FROM BEING FAT!

RNY surgery date 4-19-17

HW: 280 Surgery Weight: 262 CW: 165

(M1) 23 (M2) 8 (M3) 11 (M4) 9 (M5) 7 (M6) 9

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/5/17 4:31 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Beth, I just want to say that I love the spirit you demonstrate in your signature line!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Djmohr
on 4/9/17 3:48 pm
RNY on 09/29/14

Congratulations on taking the first steps to getting healthing. You are asking really great questions!

A little about me. I was 315lbs @ 5'10". I am 53 years old now. I was very sick and barely functioning before my surgery. My doctor actually said I had one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. I have a few autoimmune diseases which being so heavy made them worse. I have Psoriatic Arthritis, Hypothyroidism and severe osteo arthritis of the spine. I also had a lot of comorbitities: Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, severe gerd and the straw that broke the camels back was a diagnosis of stage 3 chronic kidney disease.

I was advised that the best WLS for me was RNY gastric bypass. It would likely cure my gerd and type 2 diabetes while the VSG might make the gerd worse. My gerd was so bad that I coughed uncontrollably for over a year. I was on the highest dosage of PPI that were available to me.

In Sept 2014 I had RNY. The pre op diet was high protein, low carb. 14 days before my surgery I was put on the liver shrink diet which was literally up to 5 protein shakes per day, SF jello, SF popsicles, broth and crystal light. For me I am alergic to sugar substitutes so I really stuck to the shakes and chicken broth.

This whole process is about your head. You have to get to the point where you realize that this change will save your life. Once you get there, following the plan isnt so hard. You have to keep your eye on the prize and the prize in your new life. None of the crap we eat is important any more.

Once I had my surgery it was super easy to follow the plan. I lost my first 100lbs in 9 months and still had 50 to go when I had to have a 3 level cervical fusion. That meant excercise was going to be limited for a really long time. I managed to take off the remaining 52lbs through diet alone. It wasn't easy and I tried to walk a lot but even that was not easy in that state.

I went home from the hospital with normal glucose and was off all gerd and diabetes meds right away. Within the first 50lbs I was no longer taking high blood pressure or high cholesterol meds as well. My kidney and liver function improved to normal levels. I felt like a million bucks!!!!

6 months after my surgery I went to Hawaii on a cruise with my family. I climbed a volcano!!!! I was able to log 15,000 steps on a regular basis without much pain on my joints. Even my thyroid changed and I have to take less synthroid.

I am now 165lbs. I have been maintaining for over a year and in the last 9 months I have had two rounds of plastics. I went from a size 26 to a size 10....sometimes even an 8 or a medium. I fit in airplane seats without an extender and have several inches on either side of my seat!!!!

This is all about getting your head straight.....once you do the rest is easy in my opinion. How badly do you want it and what are you willing to give up to get it? Ask yourself those questions.....surgery is not a miracle cure, it takes hard work and commitment to changing your life.

If you want it.....you will do it! Best of luck to you and I hope your consultation goes really well for you!

Most Active