Looking for information

Court727
on 4/2/17 12:09 am

Hi I'm Courtney and my doctor told me to consider having gastric bypass surgery. I'm 31, and it's really starting to mess with my head. I'm 200lbs and she says I'm a candidate for the surgery. I also have underlying medical issues. I always thought this surgery was for people that were larger then me. Is there anyone here that has had the surgery to reverse or make some other medical issues better?

Gwen M.
on 4/2/17 6:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It would probably be best to call your insurance and find out what they cover and what their requirements for approval are. Then find a local bariatric doctor and attend a seminar or two - many offer WLS seminars to give people information.

You don't say how tall you are, but 200lb at 4'10 is a lot different than 200lb at 5'10"!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Court727
on 4/2/17 11:07 am

Hi, sorry about that I am 5'5".

Gina 22 years out
on 4/2/17 1:43 pm - Burleson, TX

That puts your BMI at 33.3, which does put you in the Obese category, but under what is "usually" looked at as a qualifying BMI, for WLS, which is 35-40...but...you never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever know...

Co-morbidities, like Diabetes, heart disease, and several other things also enter into decision making toward approval of WLS. Like the sage advice already given said, contact YOUR insurance, for your INDIVIDUAL qualifications, and go from there...

We are here, if you need us!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

White Dove
on 4/2/17 7:44 am - Warren, OH

If you are 31 and 200 pounds, then there is a reason why the doctor is recommending gastric bypass. It is most likely Type 2 Diabetes. The smartest thing you can do for yourself in that case is get the surgery as soon as possible.

The surgery will only stop diabetes if done soon enough after diagnosis.

Surgery is for people who need to lose weight and can't do it by dieting alone. That is more than 95% of obese people. Very few people who actually need surgery actually get it.

Consider yourself lucky if you can.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

califsleevin
on 4/2/17 8:23 am - CA

I suspect that there could be just a simple vernacular issue - to many outside the bariatric world, WLS=RNY gastric bypass, and the terms are sometimes used interchangeably. Most PCPs don't know the differences between the different procedures in the detail required to make a judgement as to which is best in a particular situation. I would take this to be a recommendation to investigate bariatric surgery with an experienced bariatric surgeon (or two or three - alternate opinions are useful in making these decisions) to discuss one's particular issues as to which procedure, it any, is most suitable. In cases of particularly aggressive diabetes or bile reflux, the duodenal switch may be the appropriate call, even if it may be overkill from a purely weight loss perspective.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

NYMom222
on 4/2/17 1:51 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

At 200lbs at 5'5" tall that gives you a BMI of 33.3 on a BMI calculator if those numbers are correct. You can easily google a BMI calculator yourself. If that is your BMI you probably wouldn't qualify for surgery.

Most Insurances (I won't say all- because everyone has a different policy) require a 35 BMI with co-morbidities such as Diabetes, Sleep Apnea and/or High Blood Pressure....and with a 40 or above BMI no co-morbidities are usually necessary.

You don't say what the underlying cause for the recommendation is, but at 31, He obviously thought it was serious enough to suggest it. I was horrified when it was suggested to me over the years and put my 'head in the sand' so to speak. So even if you don't qualify for surgery now, if you don't take this as a wake up call for your health it is only a matter of time before you will qualify. I know that may seem horrible to say but another 12lbs puts you over a 35BMI. 12lbs isn't much...

Good Luck

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active