Random thoughts : food insight and clothes shopping

Vegbeth
on 3/31/17 6:39 pm, edited 3/31/17 8:11 pm - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

So I'm finally in a small enough size (8-10) that I can shop in any store. Turns out I'm not liking any of the clothes I'm seeing. Is it just me are all the tops super loose and big? I'm finally smaller and don't want loose flowy shirts to cover me up. And then all the pants are slim leg skinny jeans. Well I'm bigger on bottom so that's not a great look plus my shoes are almost always trail sneakers (foot problems) that don't look real cute with those skinny ankles. I've gone to so many stores and can't find much I like. I'm still shopping my closet but even those clothes are getting loose. Have I just become incredibly picky since I have more choices?

And now onto my second topic. After meeting with my nutritionist earlier this week. He asked me why I don't cook with oil and eat such a low fat diet. I gave him a lot of excuses related to things I've read about whole foods vegan diet but it suddenly came to me later that day. The real reason is fats (especially olive oil, cooking oils, margarine and coconut oil) and fatty foods (healthy or not) are my number one trigger for my over eating. They are quite literally slider foods for me to slide right back into bad eating habits and always have been. Of course I need some fats in my diet to process certain vitamins and for overall health and I can handle small quantities of whole food fats that are not paired with any other potential triggers (salt and sugar). I just had to share this as I it is so completely freeing after spending years explaining to people why I'm cooking fat free (on and off) and debating with folks about the health benefits of it. Now all that is gone because I can honestly say I just can't cook with oil or I'll be back to my high weights. For me it's like the alcoholic trying to have a sip of wine. If someone doesn't accept that explanation it's there problem not mine!

White Dove
on 3/31/17 7:28 pm - Warren, OH

You need clothes that flatter your body. I usually go to stores like Macy's and ask a salesperson for help.

A great way to learn what flatters you is a site called missussmartypants.

You fill out information and supply a photo and they will send you a weekly list of new items that are picked for your body type. Take a look at their site.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/17 11:20 pm
Cosmos2112
on 4/1/17 5:39 am

Congrats on your success. I'm currently between sizes 12-14 and it's hard to find clothes, especially for work. It's business casual, but my mind and body haven't caught up. I tend to dress more casual as I feel the need to be comfortable since I sit in front of a computer most of the day. I don't want to spend a lot of money now as I have about 30 more pounds utill my goal. At this stage I don't like clingy fitting tops, but hopefully that will change. As for pants, I like tighter fitting and hate anything baggy especially in the rear. I have a flat rear that needs hugging.

I've been shopping at Old Navy and a few upscale resale shops now. My plan is when I reach goal to make appointment at fancy-I-really-can't-afford-department-store to get something very nice. Nordstrom or Saks have free personal shoppers service. This will be my treat.

RNY 12/22/2016. HW 228. SW 224. CW 122

Dr. Aviv Ben-Meir. Lake West Medical Center, Willoughby OH

NYMom222
on 4/2/17 2:21 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I agree clothes are very floaty on top and skinny on bottom... Luckily skinny on bottom works for me. I never liked oversized even when MO, it does not make you look smaller. So in the 'floaty' category, the few I have I make sure they fit well in the bust and shoulders. I actually just gave a top away today to my girlfriend, because with my height, it never fell in the right place in length and with all that extra material just didn't work...

One thing sometimes it is hard getting used to is buying things just because they fit....there will be other choices out there now, I don't 'have' to get it... I do find Target has a good selection of jeans that aren't all skinny, and some come in talls and petites if needed ..... I like NY and CO for dress pants for the same reason... they carry Talls in the store. You can order online- which is great but it is nice to actually try things on.

And about the food- You have to know yourself...we all have different triggers. For me a drizzle of oil here or there is not a slippery slope, and I never fried things. The only really fried thing in my life pre-WLS was french fries and never at home. I am a creamy comfort food person and toast. ...my battle lately has been with faux carb recipes.... they may come under the guise of 'healthy' but my mind and body don't like them....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Travelher
on 4/2/17 8:11 pm, edited 4/2/17 1:12 pm
Revision on 10/04/16

I agree. I look Terrible in floaty tops because I'm the classic hourglass shape. I need fitted tops or else everything hangs off my boobs and looks tent-like. Ive been buying a lot of fitted body con dresses lately (Calvin Klein seems to work well) I've always felt sausage like in skinny jeans but finally relented and bought some. My hubby loved them! So maybe it is just my dysmorphia rearing its ugly head.

im the same way as you for fats (wheat as well for me) , I've avoided cheese like the plague..I can't just stop at one bite.

I eat a balanced macro diet with only about 25% fat. Works for me.

Band-RNY revision age 50 5'4" HW 260 SW: 244 (bf healthy range 23-35%) bf 23.7% (at 137lbs) cw range 135-138.lbl with butt lift and mastoplexy March 23, 2018...2.5lbs removed.

Pre-op-16lbs (size 18/20...244) M1-16lbs (size 18...228) M2-15.6lbs (size 16/18...212.4) M3-10lbs (size 16..202.4) M4-11.4lbs (size 14...191) M5-10.8lbs (size 12...180.2) M6-8.4 (size 8/10...171.8) M7-6.4 (size 8...165.4 lbs) M8-11.6 (size 6...153.8) M9-5.6 (size 4/6...148.2) M10-5.8 (size 4....142.4) M11-4 (size 2/4...138.4) Surgiversary -1 (size 2/4...137.4) M13-2.6 (size 2/4...134.8) M14 (size 2/4...134.8) M15 (size 2...135) M16 (size 2...131.4) M17 (size 2...135) M18 (size 2...135) M19 (size 2...138) M20 (size 2...135) M21 (size 2...138)

Most Active