So Conflicted - Advice Needed

-Flo-
on 3/31/17 6:07 pm
DS on 04/11/16

I highly suggest going with the VSG. It is a much less invasive surgery, with fewer risks and at 5 years has the same results as the RNY. Plus, if you are truly worried about not loosing enough weight or regain, you can later add the DS portion to your VSG. My hospital doesn't even off RNY to people without Barrett's esophagus.

dreamingbig
on 4/1/17 5:30 pm

Thank you for your reply. I respectfully disagree that the sleeve is less invasive. While I applaud those who have been successful with the DS, it is not something I would consider for myself.

Knitter215
on 4/1/17 8:18 am
VSG on 08/23/16

FWIW, I'm 7 months out after VSG. I'm 5'3", 55 years old and weighed 271.5 on the day I met with my surgeon. I had to do a 3 month supervised weight loss and was 246.9 at surgery. I'm 188 now - down 83 pounds.

All my labs have come back good and my bones are good. I think that if you put your head in the right place you will lose weight with either.

Best of luck.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

dreamingbig
on 4/2/17 6:51 am

Congrats on your weight loss!

Beam me up Scottie
on 4/1/17 12:54 pm
Why didn't he recommend the DS? I was 32 when I went for my first surgery consult, 33 when I had surgery.

I was offered the sleeve, the RNY and the DS. My Doctor said that I'd have the greatest success with the DS. 11 years later...he was right. I've maintained a 300 lb weight loss.

Scott
dreamingbig
on 4/2/17 6:45 am

Scott congrats on your incredible results and astounding weight loss. I suspect if he thinks the RNY has too many complications he would not recommend the DS....

Beam me up Scottie
on 4/2/17 9:59 am
Statistically the VSG, RNY, and DS have the "same" complication rates. If your doctor feels there are too many complications....you may want to find a different surgeon.

I grilled my surgeon about his complication rates prior to having surgery. He hadn't had a "major"complication for years prior to my surgery. From my understanding, he hasn't had many since either.

WLS is an awesome tool to reach a goal weight, but even the "simple" surgeries should be performed by only the best and experienced surgeons.

Scott
dreamingbig
on 4/2/17 4:22 pm, edited 4/2/17 9:24 am

I didn't discuss the DS with my doctor because I am not interested in the DS. Further, I feel very comfortable with the surgeon I met with based on his excellent credentials, so I don't feel your comment is relevant. Have a great day.

(deactivated member)
on 4/1/17 4:05 pm
VSG on 12/28/16

I agree that if you had your mind set on RNY, that's what you should go for. There are pros and cons to each one. Both are major surgery. However if you have the sleeve and then you don't end up losing what you want, will you always wonder why you didn't have the bypass? I went back and forth between them and ultimately chose the sleeve. I've been happy with my decision but I know it's 'just a tool'. As others have said, both require a commitment to change in eating habits to be successful in the long term. That's the naked truth we all have to wrap our heads around after surgery, no matter which one you choose.

dreamingbig
on 4/2/17 6:49 am

Thank you for your reply. That's so true about always wondering. i want to feel confident when I have surgery that I'm making the best decision I can for myself, and that I chose the best tool for ME. I need to go into this without doubts that I made the right choice.

Most Active