So Conflicted - Advice Needed

reree6898
on 3/31/17 10:44 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

I can only speak from my experience but I had the sleeve and I was 319lbs on day of surgery and 36 years old. I am just a few pounds away from my goal of 140- 145lbs and am 18 months out from surgery. I had researched both options for years as I am a research nut and for me I felt that the sleeve was a better option. There are many doctors out there who feel as though the sleeve is every bit as effective as the bypass. I personally agree and feel that if you put in the work with either surgery then you can be successful. That being said though you need to decide which is a better fit for you and stick to that as long as your doctor does not have some solid medical reason for you to go another route. Best of luck to you, let us know how things go.

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

dreamingbig
on 3/31/17 12:00 pm

Your results are amazing and inspiring. I appreciate hearing from someone who has been where I am, and started with stats similar to mine. I don't think one surgery is better than another and like you said, regardless of which you choose, you need to be prepared to put in a lot of work. Thank you for your support.

dagosson
on 3/31/17 11:29 am

I had a similar but opposite problem. I went to my surgeon firmly convinced that I wanted the VSG, only to be told that because I had GERD the recommended surgery was RNY because of the likelihood of making my GERD worse, sometimes so bad that some patients needed to be revised to the RNY anyway. I had RNY surgery on 9/28/17 and I couldn't be happier with my results. As a bonus, my GERD is totally gone :)

RNY 9/28/16 at Highland Hospital with Dr O'Malley

dreamingbig
on 4/1/17 5:09 pm

It does your head in a little, doesn't it? When you walk in there wanting to go one way and they steer you in another direction? That's great that your GERD is gone! I occasionally have acid reflux but have never been diagnosed with GERD. I would be concerned if I had the sleeve it would worsen and become an issue down the line.

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/17 11:53 am
White Dove
on 3/31/17 2:27 pm - Warren, OH

This is valuable information but it has been thirty years since I took a statistics class and don't understand anything you are saying.

Could you put that into simple English?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/17 8:34 pm
dreamingbig
on 4/1/17 5:13 pm

I did read your entire reply, and I appreciate the time and thought you put into your answer. I do understand what you mean when you say ultimately a lot of it is down to me, and the actions I take afterwards.

White Dove
on 3/31/17 1:37 pm - Warren, OH

I am 68 and was 59 having RNY. My DEXA scans were excellent until this year. Now my bones are very fragile, I am high risk of fracture and have osteoporosis. Perhaps it would have happened anyway. The bone loss occurred at the time I had open heart surgery. Life has risks. Do your best to minimize them.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

dreamingbig
on 4/1/17 5:15 pm

I'm sorry to hear that you have osteoporosis. As we age, the risk definitely increases. Thank you for your reply.

Most Active