Chia or Sunflower?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/24/17 5:35 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

--- and, I think you would know better Hala -- wouldn't the sprouted sunflower seeds be slightly fewer calories as well? -- I use unsalted roasted sunflower seeds -- but I believe the roasting process does add to the calorie count?

Great point about the Omega 6 vs the 3... unfortunately most American diets are far too high in the 6.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/24/17 6:58 pm

Less calories - Yes and no..Depends how you body process the roasted vs the raw sprouted.

Because they absorb water - the sprouted seeds volume/weight would be higher than the dry seeds. And the sprouted seeds have more bioavailable proteins and sugars...

But because sprouting makes them more bioavailable than raw non-sprouted seeds, we can digest and absorb more.

Roasted vs sprouted - I pick sprouted anytime, because the roasting adds fat, and chemicals, and makes them more bioavailable than raw seeds.

Plus it is easier to eat the roasted. And you don't know the quality of the seeds before the roast them (mold, contamination, etc) Everytime they process the food - things are added...

Most raw nuts needs to be at least soaked. When I started soaking my nuts and seeds - I can really feel a huge difference how my body reacts to them. I still can't eat pumpkin seeds. No matter what I try to do - I get horrible gas.

http://www.foodmatters.com/article/the-benefits-of-soaking-n uts-and-seeds

Why Soak Nuts, Grains, And Seeds?
  • To remove or reduce phytic acid.
  • To remove or reduce tannins.
  • To neutralize the enzyme inhibitors.
  • To encourage the production of beneficial enzymes.
  • To increase the amounts of vitamins, especially B vitamins.
  • To break down gluten and make digestion easier.

https://greenfieldfitnesssystems.com/soak-time/

Time chart for how long to soak them. But there are other sites that also offer good advice.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cathy H.
on 3/24/17 5:34 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Thanks,everyone, for the great info and ideas! I had really wanted granola for my yogurt, but it all had nuts (ick) and way too much sugar.

But...just a while ago while searching for raw sunflower kernels, I found this and I ordered it, I think it might be just the ticket!

Gerb's Super 5 Seed Granola (Pumpkin, Sunflower, Chia, Hemp, Flax)

Fingers crossed and we shall see, it will be here Sunday!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

GmaDiana
on 3/24/17 8:06 pm

I use some sunflower seeds in my salad adds a nice crunch.

ddkVSG
on 3/25/17 3:26 pm
VSG on 12/27/16

When I was eating yogurt (I've become whey intolerant) I added hemp hearts. They add crunch and protein and fiber. They are also a good source for omega 3&6.

HW 374 SW 339 CW 309GW 195 Surgery 12/27/16

Eggface
on 3/25/17 10:39 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

This is my favorite yogurt or cottage cheese topping - Protein Granola

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2016/07/farme rs-market-breakfast.html

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

okiepirate
on 3/27/17 12:34 pm
VSG on 11/08/14

I do the Chia seeds for the Omega's (mentioned above) based on the recommendation of NUT following blood work. I'm looking at hemp seeds. The protein content is interesting. I am really enjoying hemp based protein powders.

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/17 3:26 am
VSG on 12/28/16

I add sliced strawberries or blackberries to my yogurt. Just 3 or 4 berries have very few carbs or calories and give a nice texture with some crunch. Also very filling.

Sai F.
on 4/13/17 3:01 pm
VSG on 09/02/16

Hi there. I am a big fan of Chia seeds. I put them in my smoothies, in yogurt or kefir... Etc. You can sprinkle them on just about anything. There are several easy healthy chia pudding recipes too.

As far as Sunflower kernels, roasted vs raw has about the same health benefits so enjoy your unsalted roasted kernels hehe. I tried raw sunflower kernels and they were crunchy to me, but a different taste... I prefer the roasted taste.

Banded June 2009- Allergan 10mL AP-S

Revised to Sleeve in September 2016

Most Active