Total Body Composition (DEXA) - 1 Yr Post Op

Jester
on 3/24/17 7:29 am
RNY on 03/21/16 with

Given the level of skepticism in this thread, I feel compelled to at least post the results so we can rule out me making things up! At least if the skepticism continues, it will be directed at the failure of two different DEXA machines.

First, here are the high level summary results of the 2 scans I had at the SAME location, about 6 months apart:

Here are the results from the scan I had about 3 months ago. You will see the format of their results are a bit different, and they report in kg, so I hand calculated and wrote in pounds:

* Nicole *
on 3/25/17 11:35 am, edited 3/25/17 9:11 pm

While 4.9 does seem extreme.

I know first hand that the Dexa can be wrong. I had one recently (well 2 within 20 minutes because even they didnt believe the first results). And the margin of error was astronomical between the 2 and both were still wrong. I went and had a hydrostatic test done.

Dexa had me at 40% body fat at just a hair under 90lbs of fat. Which is absolutely impossible on someone who sinks in water. Hyro had me at 19% which would be relevant and reason I sink. As of my 223lb body that would mean about 29lbs fat. And 29lbs of fat cannot keep 194 lbs of lean mass afloat, now 90lbs could keep 133lbs far more afloat.

It was all I needed to tell me that again "gold standard" doesnt always mean its right and that medicine needs to take their narrow blinders off. I am not bashing medicine as I wouldnt be here without it. But its not a definitive thing.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

Deanna798
on 3/26/17 6:59 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Did you go to EMU for your DEXA? I had one there this month and it shows me at 33% body fat and i believe it's quite accurate. I also believe that Jester had his at the same office, since I kinda recognize the print out he posted above.

If I had to guess, the first hydro scan that you had was inaccurate.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

* Nicole *
on 3/27/17 6:10 am

Yup had it done there. 2 within 20 minutes and the results between the two were drastically outside margin of error. With readings that made no sense compared to others. Not blaming EMU in the slightest, its just me and its not a surprise.

I know many want to doubt me and thats fine. But my body measurements compared to weight and height set me at like 22% body fat. So I am much more inclined to to believe the hydro. Cause if I even lost 40lbs I would die, litterally unless it was excess skin removal which there is about 10lbs on my torso that still needs to go. There is no 90lbs of fat on me, all my doctors would verify that.

The problem that the dexa was inaccurate for me, come to find out, is the disorder I have causes inflammation of adipose cells (so my extra skin doesnt help), which can read inaccurately. And I had my dexa in the middle of a nasty flare up. Im planning on going back in a few months during a quiet time in my body to see if it comes closer. Honestly I expected it, as Ive been a medical enigma my whole life.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

Jester
on 3/27/17 11:05 am
RNY on 03/21/16 with

I did have mine at EMU - the one in the fall and the most current one. The interim one that I had 3 months ago (which is nearly identical to the one I just had at EMU) was done at a place called Family Healthcare Center in Royal Oak.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/26/17 7:41 am
RNY on 12/31/13

FWIW, at 347 pounds with a background on the swim team throughout high school -- I continuously sank while snorkeling in the Caribbean and in our backyard swimming pool. Quite obviously, at a 58 BMI, I certainly carried enough adipose tissue to support my bones and muscle mass. Sure, muscle has a density of about 1.06 g/ml (slightly more than water) while fat has a density of about 0.92 g/ml (slightly less than water) -- so it's correct to assume that the more fat, the easier it is to float. However, floating will also depend on air in the lungs, and if deceased, gas buildup in the abdomen. That's why lots of fat people still drowned on the Titanic.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

VSGAnn2014
on 3/25/17 3:48 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

Jester (and others), this is a fascinating thread. Thanks for all the information you've shared here.

I had a DEXA test a few months ago, but for some reason did not wind up with a copy of my results. I'm going to get a copy this week. May post my results here when I get them.

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Jester
on 3/27/17 11:08 am
RNY on 03/21/16 with

As a follow-up to this thread, I saw my PCP today. I brought in the results of all 3 of my DEXA scans. She was not concerned in the least regarding my BF %. She asked a lot of questions regarding food intake, and how long I had been stable at this weight (over 3 months), and that was that.

I will bring them to my appointment with my surgeon, Dr. Weiner, when I see him in 2-3 weeks and run it by him as well, but no alarms were raised by my PCP.

Most Active