How long do you let it go?

Deanna798
on 3/21/17 11:59 am
RNY on 08/04/15

So, I'm currently sitting in the waiting room at the hospital while my hubby has surgery to repair his Achilles tendon after it tore on Saturday night. He's going to be in a hard cast on his right foot (no driving) for at least 4 weeks, and then another 4 weeks in a brace (probably driving and maybe light duty work).

So, now I'm the "breadwinner", though even my husbands partial short term disability he makes more than I do, lol. But I'll be the primary driver, child care provider, house cleaner and all around super mom for the next few months.

The problem is that I can feel my gallbladder giving me a hard time. I get twinges frequently, and for the last few days it's been a low level constant stitch in my upper right side. I do have my gallbladder, and I've had issues with it in the past, but the last time I had an attack I was 7 weeks pregnant and they couldn't take it out. I tried to talk my Bariatric Surgeon into taking it out during my RNY, but that was a no go, since I hadn't had any issues in a few years.

I'm afraid that it's going to break down on me completely, and I obviously can't afford to be incapacitated right now. Ugggh, i guess I don't even know what I'm trying to ask here, because I can't do anything about it right now, I'm just venting my fears. Because, you know, when it rains it pours around here.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

rachelp
on 3/21/17 12:18 pm
VSG on 08/01/16

First, here's a hug . Try not to think about everything all at once. It's like running with your shoes tied. Obviously you can't have your gallbladder out right now so be careful and stay away from the foods that **** it off and drink plenty of fluids. Take a deep breath. It's pointless to worrying about something that isn't happening yet. You got this girl!!

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

MaryEllen OntheEastCoast
on 3/21/17 12:19 pm - CT

I thought there was some kind of medicine that can stop the pain and buy you some time - Actigall maybe?

White Dove
on 3/21/17 12:25 pm - Warren, OH

I had my gallbladder out in December. It was outpatient surgery and I rested that afternoon and was fine the next day. I only took one pain pill and was doing housework and driving the next day.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

stacyrg
on 3/21/17 4:13 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Same here. Surgery was on a Monday morning and I was on a plane for business on Thursday morning. Easy recovery.

pammieanne
on 3/21/17 1:04 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Relax sweetie... don't worry about the gallbladder until you absolutely have to. Good advice above... eat as clean as you can (with a TON of stress raining down upon you), and just take each day, maybe even each 1/2 day at a time, and trudge through this ****

Because you are a strong woman that, may not WANT to do this, but you CAN...

Yes You Can!!... says Bob the Builder!!!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/17 1:16 pm

Go to the doctors. I mean if you get really sick from this it could be really really bad.

I hope you feel better. It sucks to be the one who feels like they have to be in control. But if momma's not happy nobody is happy.

TheNewT
on 3/21/17 1:21 pm
VSG on 08/04/14

Had mine taken out over a decade ago (well before WLS). After the diagnosis I knew to stay away from foods that made it angry. Well, I didn't know that included fruit (acid). I had another attack and called the surgeon's office. He wrote me a prescription for Nexium (it wasn't OTC then) and that helped a lot. So follow the advice above and eat as cleanly as possible. If you still have an issue definitely call your doctor to see if there is anything she/he suggests to ease the pain and/or symptoms.

Wishing you and your hubby the best.

BTW, my mom is living with hers and eating as clean as possible to prevent flares. She only has them 1-2 times a year. It is possible to make it through this busy period with no surgery.

emelar
on 3/21/17 2:02 pm - TX

I lived through a year of gallbladder attacks, not that I knew what they were at the time. I kept putting off seeing a doctor because I was in the middle of a relocation and wanted to wait until I was settled. I had the last attack a few days after the move, was in the hospital with acute pancreatitis for a week on IV antibiotics before they would even touch the gallbladder. It was lap surgery and, even with all that, I was out, about, and taking care of business within 5 days.

My advice is that the world doesn't stop turning because hubby is temporarily incapacitated. Go to your doc, get tested (HIDA scan), and confirm the diagnosis. If it's not an emergency, then the doc can give you something to keep it in chec****il you can schedule surgery, if surgery is needed. It doesn't sound emergent at the moment, but those little buggers can go toxic fast.

Yeah, I know you're going to be run off your feet, but please don't ignore it!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/21/17 2:45 pm

Agreed. I didn't even have to have a HIDA. The abdominal ultrasound I had showed that I had stones.

I was eight weeks out of RNY when I had my gallbladder out, working full time, and taking care of my family. It was a mild inconvenience but it was fine.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active