Tired of Premier Protein?

Fredbear
on 3/17/17 10:58 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

I'd basically given up on soup since there is usually very little protein, and the liquid fills you up too quickly. My spouse suggested getting some protein powder to infuse into soup so I could enjoy it again.

I bought some Life Balance "Pure Eggwhite Protein" from Trader Joe's, shoved it in the cupboard, and promptly forgot about it... until last night when I noticed I was out of protein shakes.

The protein powder is basically tasteless (to me), so I figured out a way to make my own protein shake:

• 1/4 cup Pure Eggwhite Protein (80 cal)
  • 2 tbs. PB2 (45 cal)
  • 1 tbs. powered cocoa (20 cal)
  • 12 oz. liquid
  • 4 packets zero-calorie sweetener (I use stevia)

Seal in a container and shake vigorously until mixed thoroughly. That's 2 servings, by the way, so it's about 75 calories per 6 oz. serving.

The directions say to use milk, but that's WAY too many calories, even with skim milk. It actually tastes just fine with water. Even with the 4 packets of stevia, it's not a really sweet shake... the PB2 is not sweetened, the cocoa is not sweetened, the protein is not sweetened.

Just thought I'd share. The ingredients are relatively cheap, and you can make a lot of servings.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

landy
on 3/18/17 6:23 am

Thank you! I will try this.

I use Fair Life Milk for my shakes because it has more protein than regular milk and lactose free. I really helps me get my protein numbers up.

The skim has 80 calories in 1 cup, 0 fat, 13 protein and 6 carbs. It came recommended by my nutritionist. I was using almond milk, but he suggested the Fair Life for protein.

Miss B

Start weight (1-11-17) 281

Surgery weight (5-1-17) 245

Current weight (6-17-17) 218

VSG on 5-1-17

AggieMae
on 3/18/17 1:50 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I use the Unjury unflavored protein powder. I add it to cottage cheese, yogurt, soup, cashew milk and shakes. 21 grams of protein per scoop.

NYMom222
on 3/18/17 5:47 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

How much protein is in it? Calories are fine even if you use it as one serving, but can't tell if it is a good choice without a protein number.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active