Coffee?

Pokemom
on 3/17/17 2:40 pm, edited 3/17/17 7:41 am
RNY on 12/29/14

I think it does taste like cocoa, maybe a dark chocolate cocoa, especially with a small amount of creamer in it (again, my favorite creamer is the unsweetened soy milk). The aroma is very much like cocoa, just delicious IMO.

They have different beans from different parts of the world. As with coffee, the different beans have different undertones. For the one most like cocoa, I would choose the green one, called Ghana light roast. Depending on where you purchase from, in their old packaging, this bean/roast was called "Cavalla." I would start with that and see if you like it. If you do, you could branch out into other bean/roasts.

I have given it to friends, and some of them expect it to be sweet like cocoa because of it's aroma. It is not sweet, so they are surprised and find it too bitter. But I really think the small amount of creamer takes away the bitterness and it does not require sweetening. I do have other people I have given it to who like it very much. One particular good friend of mine loves this too, an every day thing, and she sometimes uses stevia. I prefer it unsweetened.

Let me know if you try it! I would love to have a fellow Crio lover/evangelist on OH!

The Salty Hag
on 3/17/17 5:47 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Awesome!! Thank you for all the great info!

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

HonestOmnivore
on 3/21/17 7:01 am
RNY on 03/29/17

is this it?

http://a.co/1VpOtWS

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Pokemom
on 3/21/17 10:32 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Yes! That is it. And that green package is the roast I would start with. Ghana light roast.

You can also read about it and purchase from the corporate website, which is criobru.com

(I don't know if the OH guidelines will screen out a direct link, but you know how to look that up!)

Be sure to let me know if you like it!

BTW, on vacation, I have tried using a regular drip coffee maker for it, and it is just kind of tepid that way, IMO. I use a French Press at home--and now on road trips, I take a french press with me! I like it robust.

If you wanted to try it without investing in a French press right away, you could brew it in a glass pitcher, like a loose tea, then strain it through a tea strainer, or fine strainer. I've done that. That is a little more work than the French press, but would save you the money until you decided if you liked it or not.

IKEA sells a a really inexpensive French press, BTW.

I have written so much about this--you can tell I am a little overenthusiastic! Sipping some RIGHT NOW, in fact! :-)

HonestOmnivore
on 3/21/17 10:55 am
RNY on 03/29/17

THANKS! I use a French press now for my morning coffee -I got a large one so I can make four coffee mugs of coffee - enough for my roommate and me, and her boyfriend if he's in town.

Do you grind it and brew it at the same ratio as coffee beans?

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Pokemom
on 3/21/17 11:18 am
RNY on 12/29/14

It is already ground. On the small package you posted a link to, it should give you ratios. I buy a giant bag at the outlet, because it is a local company, and the big bag is less expensive. Anyhow, that bulk package does not have the quantities on it. But I have a 4-cup (I think) press. I put 1/2 cup of grounds in it. I think the package suggests 2 T per 6-8 oz water. I do 2T/cup. I let it sit for quite a while, at least 15 minutes, often 30-60 minutes. Sometimes I let it sit in the press all day. I'm sure a good barista would know the optimal time, but I just do whatever.

Renee C.
on 3/17/17 6:04 pm - Bellevue, WA
Revision on 02/01/17

Per our surgeon, we're only allowed decaf until 2 months out and then limit to 1 cup per day. So I've been drinking decaf as I'm not to my 2 month mark yet. The brewed decaf at work is terrible, and I feel bad for making a pot when I'm the only one drinking it. So I've been going over to Starbucks and getting a decaf grande Americano as my daily coffee. $3.23 a day, not the greatest use of my cash.

I tried the decaf VIA, which is only available in Italian Roast, but I don't like it. (or VIA in general, it's not anywhere as good as an Americano)

I got a nonfat decaf latte the other day. I used to LOVE LOVE lattes. But it doesn't taste good to me anymore. Maybe because I've just been drinking Americano for the last few weeks? Ah well, less calories!

I need to figure out a better solution at work. :)

Band removal & RNY Feb 1 2017

(deactivated member)
on 3/17/17 6:54 pm
VSG on 12/28/16

Funny but I've had the opposite reaction. I loved my coffee pre WLS. Now, 12 weeks out. I can barely get through a cup. I don't know why but it just doesn't taste the same to me now.

Pokemom
on 3/22/17 9:23 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

I found that things really tasted different after WLS. Water really tasted different! Metallic! That is one reason I started drinking lots of herbal teas. Maybe the taste changes are what are affecting your enjoyment of coffee.

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/17 2:24 am
VSG on 12/28/16

Thanks - I agree. There are a few things that I think are different now. One thing to help with metallic tasting water is to buy the ph waters. My doctor recommends them and several people in my group have tried them now and it helps. I, like you, went the herbal tea route. I drink a lot of herbal iced teas now.

Most Active