Newbie with a question

Greyhoundgal
on 3/15/17 7:33 pm

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a few weeks now and thought it was time to introduce myself. I'm a 46 Yr old female from London ON.

I am a dialysis patient so I'm unsure of how this will work for me. I have my orientation appointment in Windsor on April 3rd. Can anyone tell me how many trips to Windsor I will have to make in total before I get a surgery date? If I'm approved at all.

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/15/17 8:30 pm
Will they do surgery on someone that is on Dialysis?
Greyhoundgal
on 3/15/17 8:45 pm

It's my dialysis team that put in the request for the referral so I would think if that made it a no go they would have said so right away.

jenorama
on 3/15/17 10:38 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I don't know how well this would relate to your situation, but there is a diabetes forum. I don't know how active it is, but you might find someone in an older post who's been in your situation, so you might want to browse backwards there.

Regarding Windsor, is there a concern about the distance between London and Windsor? Are you concerned about multiple trips as it might interfere with your dialysis schedule? I would imagine if it were your team making the referral that allowances for your care would be made.

There is also an Ontario message board where you might find someone who's gone through the same program you are and might be able to give you a better idea of how many trips it'll take.

Good luck to you and please keep us updated on your progress! :D

Jen

White Dove
on 3/16/17 12:16 am - Warren, OH

Are you hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis?

Is a kidney transplant feasible for you?

In the US, hemodialysis centers are available almost everywhere. I would think it would be the same with Canada.

Traveling with peritoneal equipment is inconvenient but very doable. The kidneys are not operated on with weight loss surgery, so dialysis should not be a show stopper.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends