Unexpected Knowledge Gained from WLS

Gwen M.
on 3/14/17 7:11 am
VSG on 03/13/14

As I was taking my vitamins this morning I found myself thinking, "Wow, I know so much more about vitamins than I did pre-op." Specifically, I know that there are different types of vitamin D, and different vitamins K. And that calcium citrate is different from calcium carbonate. And on and on and on. Things I had no clue about pre-op and things I'm sure that the majority of people in the world aren't aware of either.

So I was wondering - what things have you learned thanks to your pursuit of WLS that you hadn't realized you'd learn? Whether they're related directly to WLS or not?

I also learned that I'm someone *****ally enjoys indoor rock climbing. And I know exactly what/where the IT band is... (I'm pretty sure this is knowledge people never gain in a good way.)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/14/17 7:45 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

I learned that the transverse colon has a high point under your left side of rib cage

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Miss Liss
on 3/14/17 8:50 am

In the past 13 years since my surgery, I have learned a lot about vitamins and minerals and their absorption. I also have learned a lot about nutrition and nourishing the body. I have learned that my body functions so much better and I feel so much better when I am eating whole nutritious foods. Processed food is crap. LOL.

I have gained a good bit of knowledge on naturopathic medicine due to some digestive issues I have dealt with in the past year. If I had known then what all I know now, I would have been dangerous. Ha.

I am still a work in progress and continue to learn daily how to navigate my life and my diet for optimal health and energy and to keep the weight off. The fact that it's an ongoing, life long journey is the biggest thing I've learned.

White Dove
on 3/14/17 9:04 am - Warren, OH

I have learned that as long as you are alive, you can get and stay healthy. There are times when I get off track and start gaining. I can stop and catch myself and get back to healthy habits again.

Weight loss surgery let me get on a level playing field with people who have never been obese. I still have the addiction to food, the desire for sugary things, the urge to overeat or to eat like "normal people".

But I have a tool that I can get working again. It will be 10 years in October. It has not been a straight line with weight and it has not always been easy.

But it is so much easier than it was without the surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Rachel B.
on 3/14/17 9:12 am, edited 3/14/17 2:16 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

I just learned about elemental calcium following a few threads on here. I did some research. I was always told to take Calcium Citrate, and that we absorb it better. But I read an article on Mayo which stated,

"Several different kinds of calcium compounds are used in calcium supplements. Each compound contains varying amounts of the mineral calcium ? referred to as elemental calcium. Common calcium supplements may be labeled as:

• Calcium carbonate (40 percent elemental calcium)
  • Calcium citrate (21 percent elemental calcium)
  • Calcium gluconate (9 percent elemental calcium)
  • Calcium lactate (13 percent elemental calcium)

The two main forms of calcium supplements are carbonate and citrate. Calcium carbonate is cheapest and therefore often a good first choice. Other forms of calcium in supplements include gluconate and lactate.

In addition, some calcium supplements are combined with vitamins and other minerals. For instance, some calcium supplements may also contain vitamin D or magnesium. Check the ingredient list to see which form of calcium your calcium supplement is and what other nutrients it may contain. This information is important if you have any health or dietary concerns.

When looking at calcium supplements, consider these factors:

Amount of calcium

Elemental calcium is key because it's the actual amount of calcium in the supplement. It's what your body absorbs for bone growth and other health benefits. The Supplement Facts label on calcium supplements is helpful in determining how much calcium is in one serving. As an example, calcium carbonate is 40 percent elemental calcium, so 1,250 milligrams (mg) of calcium carbonate contains 500 mg of elemental calcium. Be sure to note the serving size (number of tablets) when determining how much calcium is in one serving."

This, I found incredibly thought provoking, and now has me investigating for the best calcium supplement that I can find.

I have also been investigating for supplements of K, Copper, potassium, etc - An appropriate multi!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

One Bad Beach
on 3/14/17 9:25 am
RNY on 11/28/16

Since WLS (3.5 months ago), I have learned a whole new meaning of fat-shaming. I have also realized just how bad people were treating me, and other obese people. I vow to never act like that to someone who is MO, obese, or even overweight!

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me." --Carol Burnett

RNY 11/28/2016

HW 285 - SW 244

RNY_elizabeth
on 3/14/17 12:40 pm - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Ditto

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

skinny_gigi
on 3/14/17 9:36 am

I learned where my stomach was actually located (duh) i always though it was around my belly button! maybe i just wasn't that bright before...

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

RNY_elizabeth
on 3/14/17 12:41 pm - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

SAME! OMG...I really thought it was lower. LOL Glad I am not the only one.

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

Kristi T.
on 3/14/17 9:42 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

I have learned a lot about alternative ingredients like coconut flour instead of wheat flour and the use of raw honey instead of sugar. There are so many more I have been investigating, now I need to put it to good use.

I never thought I would know so much about the colon either. Fiber, Probiotics, Prebiotics, stool softeners...and the list grows!