Personality change with weight loss

Grim_Traveller
on 3/13/17 6:39 am
RNY on 08/21/12

If you said you were "as" sweet and loving as before, I'd have had no argument.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Gina 22 years out
on 3/13/17 5:24 am - Burleson, TX

I am actually LESS "outgoing", in that I no longer feel I have to be loud, baudy, life of the party, etc. I used to think that my behavior was my "natural" personality, but, looking back, I think a lot of it was me hoping people would notice how much FUN I was, and look beyond my exterior package.

I am STILL fun, but...quieter...sorta :)

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Insert Fitness
on 3/13/17 5:44 am

This one is tricky for me. The timing of My weight loss is intertwined with being diagnosed with add, and the slow approach of 40. I don't think my personality has changed much. But I definitely feel more in control of my life, which leads to a deeper sense of confidence. I am able to set goals, and work towards them. Something I found totally abstract and impossible before. Having a more structured life has given me so much more time and freedom. This is the opposite of how I felt about routine, or structure throughout my 20s, and most of my 30s.

I've always been outgoing, but I let myself be more vulnerable now. I'm open about things I wouldn't have been, even a year ago ( I mean with friends and family, not in a weird overshare on Facebook kind of way hahha). I realize everyone is going through something at some point. And by being more open, it helps everyone, especially those who feel isolated in whatever they are dealing with.

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/13/17 6:01 am

I am the same.

I think there is a perception that our personalities change because some of us become less willing to accept poor behavior from people in our daily sphere and more interested in taking care of our physical and mental health.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

(deactivated member)
on 3/13/17 6:27 am

I've gone through outgoing phases creative phases depression even a stubborn " bad behavior " phase I wouldn't have dared indulge except momentarily pre WLS.

Then again I always say my worst day post op is SO much better than anything I could ever have imagined preop.

Yes I do demand more from ( my still faithful- can U believe it ? ) long term friends and from my family also . Don't always get it but I know that I need to choose to spend my limited time in healthier and more supportive relationships rather than beating my head against a wall trying to change immovable dynamics . Also those dynamics rapidly change with success so that's what I'm concentrating on for my own self confidence development and artistic growth mostly .

TheNewT
on 3/13/17 7:38 am
VSG on 08/04/14

I'm what the people like to call mean and *****y... and I'm OK with that (lol). I have always been that way and will continue to be. I don't take BS, never have and never will. I am my father's child. I am no more outgoing than I was before. I'm very slow to make acquaintances and even slower to make friends. But once you get in the circle I am awesome (if I say so myself).

I WISH my personality would adjust some. I would like to have a little more care about fashion and makeup and hair. I do WISH I was a bit more willing to strike up friendships sometimes, maybe.... no never mine. I'm good!

TheNewT
on 3/13/17 8:19 am
VSG on 08/04/14

**never mind.

Hate when I do that crap.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/13/17 7:43 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I do not feel my personality changed with weight loss. I have always been gregarious and outspoken, and that hasn't changed.

That said, I think my baseline personality was affected by being obese. I am grateful for my obesity because I think it made more a more compassionate person, and certainly more empathetic about other people's addictions.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Kristi T.
on 3/13/17 10:50 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

I honestly thought I would change a lot with weight loss. I sort of put "all my eggs in one basket" and thought it would make EVERYTHING better...it hasn't. I am still introverted and make friends slowly. I still spend lots of time by myself with my faithful companion Emmy(street wise orphaned Pomeranian.) I have a lot of dreams and goals for the future stuck in my head, acting on them is tough. I think people see me as quiet and sweet.....I don't want to be quiet and sweet anymore!My body feels better, but my mind is slow to follow. My hope is that my growing spirituality and therapy will help with the rest.

ILoveFlowers
on 3/13/17 11:08 am

I've found that I'm much more likely to stand up for myself and others since my weight loss surgery. Before surgery, I was much more timid and shy. I would just go along with whatever unless I was really pushed. Now I'm the first one to stand up and say something. It drives my husband up the wall. Of course, I had complications and the doctor told my husband he didn't know if I was going to make it or not, so maybe that has something to do with it. (I made it just fine.)