What is a Diet Myth You Totally Bought Into? --

Han Shot First
on 3/12/17 4:10 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Grim's whole list for sure.

What's frustrating for me is how many of the incorrect things are said by my surgeon's program, like eating low fat and starvation mode.

My dad is just starting the whole process, and I'm so glad that I'll be able to help guide him through things, especially with the not-so-great advice that you get from most programs.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

jenorama
on 3/13/17 2:23 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Loving the new avatar! :D

Jen

CC C.
on 3/12/17 4:31 pm

Low fat/fat free for sure.

I was so disappointed at my nutrition class when I was looking at the list of do's and don't's and saw butter, oils, and fats as well as almonds, walnuts, basically all nuts, and cheese under the 'no' column and fat free dairy and non-fat dressings under the 'yes' column. It raked against everything I've learned and successfully practiced over the last 5 years (successful minus the maintenance part!) with regards to healthy eating.

CJ On Orcas
on 3/16/17 10:40 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I remember the first time I had a full fat yogurt, I was SO much more satisfied for longer.

Queen JB
on 3/12/17 4:51 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

I really believed that buying low fat products would make me thin.

I did not have a CLUE about sugar and had no idea that eating low fat products meant that I was loading my body with so much excess sugar.

I never understood how I could be buying all the right things that said "low fat" right on the front of the package and still be gaining weight. #hindsight

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Rachel B.
on 3/12/17 5:50 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Certainly low/no fat. Starvation mode. Even if I would burn more calories than intaking by eating celery, there is no frickin' way I would eat that crap unless it's in a soup!!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

(deactivated member)
on 3/13/17 9:21 am

I gotta say something obvious here. The food manufacturers took wholesale and cynical advantage of the public's ignorance regarding no fat versus so called " low fat " foods .

Any SUCCESSFUL dieter knows that 3 grams of fat ( is a lot of fat ! This amount is the the so called threshold for low fat food in America ( not in Canada or overseas .. there it's 0.10 grams fat per serving ! ) . 3 grams of fat in a so- called " serving " of nutrient less carbs is gonna make ya fat fat fat ..

my ex husband used to eat " 100 calorie snacks " post op .. it did neither his weight nor his diabetes any good

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/13/17 3:56 am

All of them? Just to name a few

• Veganism
  • Vegetarianism
  • Low fat
  • High fat (Atkins with all the fake foods- SA and fiber are fine)
  • Cleansing
  • Fasting for weeks at a time (I did lose weight but I put it on very fats)
  • Exercise - as long as you exercise like crazy you can eat what you want)
  • Calories counting
  • Mindful eating
  • Liquid diets
  • Salads at every meal
  • Gluten free- but anything gluten free was OK... Aka - junk food.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ashley in Belgium
on 3/13/17 4:48 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

That diet and exercise would make me lose the weight and keep it off.

Whether the diet was liquids only, low fat, low carb, sugar free, vegetarian, paleo, doesn't matter. No way were any of those going to get me to goal and keep me there.

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Miss Liss
on 3/13/17 7:09 am

I fell for the low fat/fat free craze. I probably screwed up my metabolism and who knows what else by practicing that for a while.

I also fell for the negative calorie foods idea and ate a ton of celery for a while even though I hate it. LOL.