Meat eaters: low fat, high fat, whatever fat?

Donna L.
on 3/12/17 7:13 am, edited 3/11/17 11:14 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Over half my calories come from fat. Lean meat is typically harder for many to eat post-op. In fact, I usually eat less than 5g of carbs per day sometimes.

Fat actually contributes to chemical satiety the most. Carbohydrate leaves the stomach first, followed by protein. Protein is also high satiety, but fat is superior in that regard. In my not-very-humble opinion, it's the best idea for people who have appetite issues to eat a high-fat diet.

It's healthier to eat fat - most tissue in the body uses fat primarily aside from cells too small to have mitochondria. The medulla of the kidneys, red blood cells, and just under half of your brain need glucose. The rest all comes from fat. You can make glucose from protein. Without fat and protein you'll die. Without carbohydrates you will survive, and, moreover, thrive. Most of the brain and most tissues prefer fat as fuel. We just always burn glucose first. If you eat low carb you will be far more efficient at burning fat, too.

It's high insulin and insulin resistance that causes artery scarring which leads to heart disease, and high insulin which leads to inflammation and, now they think, contributes to neurodegenerative dementia of various kinds, as well as arthritis, diabetes, fatty liver disease.

I lost my first 300 pounds or so eating very close to zero carbs per day. My A1C went from over 11 to 6.0 just from doing that. When the surgeon operated for my sleeve years later, he said my liver was "beautiful." How many people who once were over 750 pounds have no fatty liver disease? Well, me, apparently, and it's all from diet :)

At any rate, keep eating your fatty meats!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Grim_Traveller
on 3/12/17 7:28 am
RNY on 08/21/12

While we're being all sciency, remember that fat has a high deliciosity factor, and leaves us with a nice shiny coat.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Donna L.
on 3/12/17 9:46 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I'll remember to add that to my lectures ;)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Gwen M.
on 3/12/17 9:48 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Argh! I should read comments before I post - you already made the shiny coat comment :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

The Salty Hag
on 3/12/17 7:36 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I eat both leaner and fattier cuts. I don't eat fatty meat every day, but it appears on my plate at least 3 times a week.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Renee C.
on 3/12/17 8:32 am - Bellevue, WA
Revision on 02/01/17

Thanks! I'm glad to hear this. I also find it helps with evacuation when things get a little bound up down there, along with hot decaf coffee.

It does keep me full longer and fits in my calorie goals, so will stick with it for now. Yummmm.

Band removal & RNY Feb 1 2017

Lipsticklady
on 3/12/17 9:46 am
VSG on 05/14/13

High protein, high fat, no/low carb. I don't count calories. Fattier cuts of meat go down more easily. With lean meats, I need a sauce or a gravy. Plus, the higher fat content keep me full longer. Tastes better, too!

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

Gwen M.
on 3/12/17 9:48 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I don't worry about my fat intake at all. Fat helps to keep you feeling full and it keeps your coat nice and shiny :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/12/17 10:15 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Not much to add -- just confirming the above posters. I stay under my calories/carb for the day -- meet my protein goal and never ever worry about fat. Ever.

I use full fat everything -- eat fatty cuts of meat, etc.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Rachel B.
on 3/12/17 10:51 am, edited 3/12/17 3:53 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Since I am back in the losing mode, and having to lose quite a bit at that, I have been having a ribeye once every one to two weeks. I have always gloried in every juicy fatball! But currently, in weight loss mode, I am trimming and using them for puppy training treats! I figure there's enough 'fat of the land' to burn for weight loss vs. adding extra fat that I don't need to burn calories.

As far as regularity - Magnesium 400mg twice daily.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150