What Would You have Named Yourself...?

NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 3/13/17 1:05 pm

Howdy, Lorie. I went with "Lori" for most of 7th grade which was 500 years ago. It had become the cutesy thing. By 8th grade I switched back because "Lori" just wasn't my name. Not that the name by any spelling is all that common, but upon looking back into the distant years, the spellings are a matter of generational differences. Cutesy came a number of years after my birth. I think the "e" in your name gives it substance way beyond that of the alternate.

Lorie N.
on 3/14/17 3:57 am, edited 3/13/17 8:57 pm
VSG on 07/26/13

NYC - I agree! To me, Lori just doesn't look complete. I have learned to love it as I get older. However, it still sucks that I can never find any personalized trinkets at souvenir shops. LOL

HW: 269 | GW: 135 | CW: 149.5 (Dealing with regain 3+ yrs out)   M1: -21.8  M2: -16.2  M3: -13.6  M4: -10.4   M5: -11.2   M6: -11.9  M7: -9  M8: -10.2  M9: -4.4  M10: -5.4 (reached goal)

NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 3/14/17 11:02 am

In that case, go for the expensive shops and buy quality. You deserve it at home and abroad.

My spelling is rare in the world of souvenirs. Eons ago I happened to spot it on a toothbrush in a local card/"gift" shop. I bought one, but it was of poor quality, meaning unusable.

Vegbeth
on 3/12/17 12:07 pm - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

I would never change my name. I was named after my favorite aunt who lived with us my whole childhood. It's a two family house but whe never had any doors locked and we were all together all the time. She was more like my grandma than aunt. Anyway, I've always gone by my middle name (and actually a nickname of it) to avoid confusion. I hated my first name as a kid because it was so old fashioned but now I love it and I pull it out when I don't want people to really know me.

Cheryl Denomy
on 3/13/17 5:56 am - Oshawa, Canada

"Cheryl" kinda grew on me.

When I was a kid (lo, these many moons ago), the popular girl names were Kathy, Karen, Debbie, Susan, Linda, and Donna. Anyone named "Cheryl" is generally younger than me, and I don't think it's ever been fabulously popular.

I don't know what I would name myself now, but when I was a kid I always wanted to be named Veronica. After Veronica Lake, the 1940s movie actress, not Veronica in the Archie comics. I always was a strange kid, and I grew up to be a strange (and, in the words of a male friend, "complicated and interesting") adult.

My favourite name story, to go off topic a bit, was my mother's. She always loved the name Abigail Victoria, and told my sister and I that's what she wanted to name us. We, of course, were horrified. Abigail?!!!? Oh, the horror!

Flash forward to 2013, when my mother was dying of a brain tumor. My sister's son and his wife were expecting their first child -- a girl -- at the time. My mother said she knew the baby's name, but nobody else (outside of my niece and nephew) did and she wasn't telling. And she didn't, which was surprising, because her memory wasn't the best toward the end and she tended to blurt out whatever happened to swim to the surface.

Mom passed away on May 28, 2013.

On August 10, 2013, my niece had her baby. Her name? Abigail Valerie -- with the "Valerie" for my mother. I cried for days.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/13/17 9:00 am
RNY on 12/31/13

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

pammieanne
on 3/13/17 8:11 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

This was such a thought provoking question! I read it this weekend, but didn't really have any time to answer it. I thought about it though...

I'm Pamela. Family always called me Pammy, or Pam, and I really didn't even think about the longer version until I was much older... but I remember hating Pam. I had a friend in 6th grade that changed the spelling of her name (Jenny) to Jeni. I was so envious, I started signing things Pamm! The thought never occurred to me to be Pamela... to think day my dad still gives me grief over the whole Pamm thing. (btw, that friend is still Jeni, and I LOVE the spelling, still jealous! Hahaha!).

When I was 19 I started the Pamela crusade... and it was HARD... still is. I've mellowed a bit, and let Pam slip a good deal of the time, but I call myself Pamela now, and it's just who I am. SO MANY people cut it short, even when I had them something with my name on it, they shorten it!

New name? Dang, I thought long and hard about this, and I just really can't come up with one... I was Sarah - with an H - in bars in my 20's Now sure where the need for the 'H' came from though... I'm not particularly fond of that name anymore... so I wouldn't pick that.

I love Victoria, but somehow I see the same struggle as I already have with Pamela...

My husband recently went through this... as Lisa all his life, he had to pick a new name as an adult. He pondered over it much longer than I would I'm sure, but finally settled on Riley. At first, it was very odd, but now he's only Riley to me.

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

The Salty Hag
on 3/13/17 3:33 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

I think Riley is a great name. He chose well!

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

pammieanne
on 3/13/17 4:25 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Thanks! I think so, too! I picked his first and middle names out of his short list, so I got to help as well

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Deanna798
on 3/13/17 8:40 am
RNY on 08/04/15

you would think that Deanna is kinda uncommon name, but I went to school with 4 other Deanna's within 2 grades of me. It was not a large school district. I was always enamored of more romantic, older names when I was growing up. Audrey, Olivia, Emily, Sarah. If my oldest son was a girl, he would have been Audrey Elizabeth. I named him Joseph David (his father's name is David). If my youngest had been a girl, he would have been Amelia Rose, but we named him Kaladin Elias.

If I could choose a name for myself today, I would likely choose Verity.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20