What Would You have Named Yourself...?

The Salty Hag
on 3/12/17 7:42 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I love that name ( and scent ) as well.

If I'd had another daughter, her name would have been Kathryn Rose.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/12/17 9:01 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Obviously, you have great taste in names. Just saying.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

ThatMeanOne
on 3/12/17 8:36 am
VSG on 08/22/16

My maternal grandma was Rosalia - probably my favorite name ever - she was the best person I ever knew and I miss her everyday.

My youngest would have been a Rosalia had he not been born a boy lol.

It's also my daughters middle name - which is funny because I didn't adopt her till she was almost three so it was completely coincidental.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/12/17 9:02 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Maybe it wasn't a coincidence, but rather a sign.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Cathy H.
on 3/12/17 1:40 am, edited 3/11/17 5:45 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I have 3 sisters, and of all of us, I'm the only one who has always liked her name. I was named after a great aunt, although she was Catherine. I'm just plain Cathy, so nicknames for it were never an issue. Because it's such a short name to begin with, and usually a nickname for Catherine/Kathrines of the world, I do have one pet peeve. It annoys me when someone calls me Cat. I mean, for crying out loud, it's already short! I use to work with a gal who called me that repeatedly. I even told her point blank a few times to STOP calling me that, but she never stopped. Brother did I want to throat punch her a few times! (Nothing personal if you do go my Cat/Kat, I think it's cute for other people lol.)

The only issue I've ever had with my name is the tendency for people to spell it with a "K." So my whole adult life when I've had to give my name, instead of just saying my first and last name, it always starts with "CathywithaC" lol

Apparently, though, I must look like a Linda. I have been called Linda by people several times in my life. Once, when I was in my early 20s, I was pulled over by a local cop in our small town. Standing there with his flashlight pointing right at my license in his hand, he looked at it, looked up at me, and said "Well, Linda, I stopped you because your taillight is out." I remember thinking the guy must be daft. Every time someone called me Linda after that, I couldn't help thinking of that cop.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/12/17 3:43 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Interesting question. I could have been born on St. Patrick's Day (I wasn't). My mother told me that if I had, my name would have been Patricia. I can't really see myself as a Patricia or Pat or Patty or Tricia.

I wish that I had started using Elizabeth as an adult. It seemed too long when I was a child, but I would prefer Elizabeth to Liz. Alas, I have been a Liz for too long to change it now. But I have NEVER been a Beth or Betty or Betsy or Libby!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

Donna L.
on 3/12/17 7:22 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

That's an interesting question, Kat. As a therapist, myself I have mulled this over quite a bit, actually, especially how names can be powerful and give impressions. There was a study you might find interesting, where social psychologists had people match faces to names - and they were right a shocking amount of the time!

I have never liked my first name. I have never lived up to my family expectations. I have always been eccentric, different, and "too intelligent" in my father's words. I am also not remotely lady-like! Mentally I am both very male and very female at once. I would probably choose a more neutral name, like Morgan or Adrian.

I think a better way to put it is that mentally I have and am comfortable with my masculine and feminine sides. I see myself as a synthesis of both. I don't believe I am trans or androgynous by any means, but I also don't see myself as mentally or emotionally female only. I also think more people than not are this way, though, as whether we are men or women we have traits of more than one gender, since people, weirdly enough, are not black and white robots!

Since I have gone through WLS I am more comfortable with this. I care less about what others believe regarding my person, and I enjoy being who I am even though I still have more weight to lose.

I often thought to change my first and last name as a part of my weight loss journey. That comes with its own issues now that I have publications.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Readyjwc
on 3/12/17 12:16 am
VSG on 01/05/17

My brother named me - "Janet". Coincidently, he married a "Janice".

I didn't like it growing up and I don't like it now. I would have preferred Olivia.

The funny thing is that my nephew (my brother's son) just named his daughter Liviah.

Great minds think alike lol.

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 3/12/17 10:28 am

Laurie here. There was a time or times (I don't recall how many periods or when they were) that I disliked my name for different reasons that have become meaningless over time. For a while in earlier adulthood, though, I toyed with adopting my first Jewish/Hebrew name which I've always imagined in transliteration at Liba -- short "i." It seemed silly to expect people I knew to make the change, so I considered using it only with new people. The idea faded, though, so Laurie I remain.

I never liked my middle name, but have always used the initial. It isn't my name without it. I resent all the computer/internet sites that don't allow for middle initials. Worse are people who choose to skip the initial despite seeing that I use it. Rude!

Lorie N.
on 3/13/17 5:05 am
VSG on 07/26/13

I'm Lorie. People always called me Laurie growing up and when I would correct them, they often said, "it's the same thing". Um, what? It's totally different.

I like my name and the spelling of it (Lorie with an e). Too bad, most people just write Lori. Even people I have known for years still spell it Lori sometimes. LOL

HW: 269 | GW: 135 | CW: 149.5 (Dealing with regain 3+ yrs out)   M1: -21.8  M2: -16.2  M3: -13.6  M4: -10.4   M5: -11.2   M6: -11.9  M7: -9  M8: -10.2  M9: -4.4  M10: -5.4 (reached goal)