What Would You have Named Yourself...?

ThatMeanOne
on 3/11/17 6:05 pm, edited 3/11/17 10:05 am
VSG on 08/22/16

My name has always been a bone of contention for me because I was given the same name as my eldest sibling. My mom is super religious and I was a difficult pregnancy - and she prayed so hard for me that she needed to name me Maria even though there already was one in the house.

That's her story...

I usually tell people she was drunk when she had me and didn't remember she already had a daughter named Maria...

So all my life I was called Johanna, my middle name. Which I hated for a multitude of reasons.

Now I'm some kind of hybrid. Close friends and family call me Jo, Joey, JoJo or Johanna.

People I meet professionally call me Maria.

It still causes confusion.

I just want one name - don't even care what it is.

Incidentally she isn't sure about my actual birthdate either. I was born close to midnight either way.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/12/17 6:57 am
RNY on 12/31/13

If it's any consolation, I think Johanna is a beautiful name.

My MIL's family is Italian Catholic -- large family -- but they all are named the same thing. For example, her siblings are Salvador, Joseph, Patti and Marie. But, that's the name of the uncles and cousins, too. SO, when we go to any family events, there are at least 6 to 7 Joes -- at least 5 Sals, so many Maries that I can't remember.

The up side? When my son was 8 he said, "I like Grandma's side -- you only have to remember like 5 names -- and if you say the wrong one, you can just pretend you were talking to someone else because someone near by will have the name!"

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

ThatMeanOne
on 3/12/17 8:31 am
VSG on 08/22/16

Thank you.

I always thought Johanna was too masculine - and growing up the only time I met anyone or saw it in print anywhere was when I visited Europe. So I resented never finding it on a key chain anywhere (10 year old problems lol) plus the fact that NO ONE pronounced it correctly.

And I was named for a grandfather I never met.

I thought Maria was so much prettier but couldn't use it because it belonged to my sister first.

But like I said - don't care much which one is used I just wish I had had one that was just mine.

(So true about family names - reminds me of My Big Fat Greek Wedding)

Lorie N.
on 3/13/17 4:59 am
VSG on 07/26/13

My maternal grandmother's name was Johanna. I have never found another person with that name until now. :) I always loved the name because of its uniqueness.

HW: 269 | GW: 135 | CW: 149.5 (Dealing with regain 3+ yrs out)   M1: -21.8  M2: -16.2  M3: -13.6  M4: -10.4   M5: -11.2   M6: -11.9  M7: -9  M8: -10.2  M9: -4.4  M10: -5.4 (reached goal)

Pokemom
on 3/16/17 12:08 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

I was ALSO super sad to never find my name on a mug or key chain! So sad! As I wrote above, my name is not super uncommon, but it is spelled differently. So I could frequently find it spelled the "normal" way, just not my way. Sigh. Like rubbing it in.

The Salty Hag
on 3/11/17 7:36 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

When I was in kindergarten, I had a friend named Gabby. I loved that name and wished it was mine. When I got pregnant and found out we were having a girl, Gabriella was on the short list and was ultimately the final choice-with the nickname of Gabby.

As a teen, I was never a huge fan of my own name and spent many years wishing my name was Ashley...I always wanted a name that was "younger" as opposed to "older".

Now, I wouldn't ever think of changing it. I've grown to appreciate my name. ( Haggy...my mother must have hated me...bahahahaha!!! ) I'm actually named after my maternal grandmother, who was one of my most favorite people ever.

If I had to choose another name, I'd name myself Marianne. It was my mother's name, and I want to be like my mother when I grow up. I would love to hear "You look/sound/act just like your mother!!" I would consider it the highest honor possible.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

rachelp
on 3/13/17 8:50 am
VSG on 08/01/16

I have a friend who's sister is name Gabriella but pronounced with the "O" like Gobriella, so they called her Gobby...which I think is weird. My friends name is Caprice and she goes by Kippy and their brother Dominic, goes by Dom.

The Salty Hag
on 3/13/17 3:30 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

That is different! I've not heard of pronouncing the name the way. I'd probably end up calling my kid Dobby because I take nothing seriously.

When my daughter was born, we lived in Corpus Christi. ( yes, THAT Corpus Christi! ) A lot of people used to pronounce her name "Gabreeaya" when saying her name-because Spani**** used to upset my ex. He'd get all huffy about it and I'd tell him "Um, we live in south Texas, dude. Deal."

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Pokemom
on 3/16/17 12:09 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

i LOVE Caprice and Kippy! Agreed that Gobby is weird.

Renee C.
on 3/11/17 8:58 pm - Bellevue, WA
Revision on 02/01/17

I've always liked my name and that wherever I went there was unlikely to be another Renee, or at least more than the 2 of us... coming from a generation full of Michelles and Jennifers, anyway.

If I had to change, I'd probably go with my maternal grandmother's name, Rose. I've always loved rose-scented things and roses.

Otherwise I'd pick some other nature name.

Band removal & RNY Feb 1 2017