What Would You have Named Yourself...?

Erin T.
on 3/11/17 3:47 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

I truly don't know what I'd name myself. I like old traditional names and then some really off the wall names as well.

Our daughters both have a unique first name and a family middle name, as do myself and my siblings. I really appreciate the connection that my middle name gave me to my paternal grandmother who was pretty much the most awesome grandma ever.

Our daughters are Isis & Aurora. Isis is actually named after a Bob Dylan song but we of course considered the strong Goddess connection (Goddess of Fertility, Goddess of the Stars...). Note: she's going to be 11 so we named her before Isis was ISIS. We always get a stupid comment about her name being "unfortunate".

When we had Aurora we considered naming her with a music connection, but ended up on another Goddess. In this case Goddess of the Light. So we have night and day. And that couldn't be more true. Isis is dark haired and dark eyed, serious and careful in all things. Kind and motherly. We have called her the baby whisperer. Aurora is blonde haired and blue eyed, bouncy and spirited and always doing cart wheels.

The only contradiction is that Isis is named after my Mom (but looks just like DH and his Mom) and Aurora is named after DH's mom and looks just like my side of the family!

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

(deactivated member)
on 3/13/17 4:15 pm

I love the name Erin .. and Isis and Aurora !

Pokemom
on 3/16/17 12:02 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

We also have given all of our children (4 of them!) a unique first name and a family middle name. I think having a middle name is like having an intimate special depth to your identity. And I have loved my children feeling a connection to their broader family through their middle names. For all my boys, their middle names come from my family, because they already have their last name from their dad's family. My daughter's middle name is after my husband's mom. She was her first granddaughter, and she had no daughters of her own. But I do wish my daughter had a name connected to my family.

mute
on 3/11/17 4:06 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

Easy question for me as I have always, always wanted to be named Victoria. I couldn't even tell you why. I love the name, it's regal and beautiful and timeless.

I hate being called by my nickname - Mindy. It just evokes mindlessness to me for some reason.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/11/17 4:08 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I've always loved that name, too.

I love your real name, though, as well.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 3/12/17 10:14 am

"Mindlessness?" Not if you pronounce the nickname with a long "i" as well.

me

CC C.
on 3/11/17 4:13 pm

I've always liked my name, but hated that people mispronounce it 99% of the time. (It's SEH-suh-lee). The alternatives are like nails on a chalkboard to me. So I usually use Ceci (CC).

If I had to choose a new name and couldn't use my own, I'd pick something even numbskulls couldn't mess up!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/11/17 4:15 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

HAHAHA. How the heck do they pronounce it? Just curious?? -- I mean, do they put the accent in the wrong place or do they try to turn it to Sicily or something like that?

It's a very pretty name!

CC C.
on 3/11/17 4:19 pm, edited 3/11/17 8:19 am

Sicily is common, seh-SILLY, SEE-suh-lee (the one I hate the most!), or I get something that doesn't even make sense like Cecilia or my personal favorite, Celery.

Edit: Thank you for the compliment!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/11/17 4:24 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

OMG, I burst out laughing at the Celery. I mean at least Seh-SILLY makes some amount of sense ... the others? Um, no.

My friend's last name is Simon. Seems super easy and common -- people pronounce it Simmons, Sigh-Moan, Seaman, --- it's absolutely astounding.

I used to live on Potomac Avenue -- and 99% of the time people would pronounce it Pot-TOE-mack. I kid you not. You know -- when Washington crossed the Pot-TOE-Mack ... HAHAHAHAHA.

People really are dense, huh? Celery. .. OMG.